Issues of security

Chad Gray

Guys, I'm not computer savvy, but I need your help. Little over a year ago, I got hacked, horror style. They got files, shut me down, and attempted to extort money. I'll admit it, now I'm paranoid and can't afford security. I keep 4 different emails to use for different purposes, but I can't keep up anymore. How do I set up my computer to at least feel more secure?

Agent Smith

A VPN isn't a "hack proof" tool. People who don't know shit about hacking think it will prevent exploits on your computer, etc. Then if you get a VPN, you need to beware of its facets and know how to chose a good VPN.

Please describe exactly what went wrong with more detail. There are many, many things you can do depending on what happened. For one, make sure your router firmware stays updated, change the default username and password, don't use UPnP, and only use port forwarding unless you absolutely need to. Check out Sandboxie for your browser. Make periodic clones of your computer to an external USB hard drive.

Chad Gray

A VPN isn't a "hack proof" tool. People who don't know shit about hacking think it will prevent exploits on your computer, etc. Then if you get a VPN, you need to beware of its facets and know how to chose a good VPN.

Please describe exactly what went wrong with more detail. There are many, many things you can do depending on what happened. For one, make sure your router firmware stays updated, change the default username and password, don't use UPnP, and only use port forwarding unless you absolutely need to. Check out Sandboxie for your browser. Make periodic clones of your computer to an external USB hard drive.
I did check out Sandboxie and I think that is a step in the right direction for me. I thank you.

nology99xx

Do you mean randomware where your computer is actually shut down with a popup asking for money, or do you mean those phishing emails claiming they'll shut you down if you dont pay? If its a phishing email, ignore it

DMGrier

VIP Member
VPN's just help provide an encypted tunnel and a somewhat IP masking. However, unless your using a lot of public wifi, a VPN in my opinion is not really necessary. There are two good factors for security...

1. Good tools. So the VPN I guess would classify as one as it technically provides a secure connection when working with shady networks. Next I always recommend a good active protection Anti-Virus(AV). Some good free AV's that are no cost is Sophos Home and Windows Defender (Built into Windows 10). For paid I personally can only recommend Sophos Home Premium, Avast and ESET as, those are the only ones I have ever used. Another tool which I use is an ad blocker. I prefer Adguard but, everyone will have their own preference.

2. Education. I have never actually had a virus that I know of. I pay attention to where I am going on the internet, especially to the URL name and if the site is using HTTPS. I don't go to random un-respectable websites. No matter how many tools you use, you are the best security tool for you and your data. I tell this line to my staff every six months when we do our IT security training. When I started at my company we had enterprise AV, an enterprise firewall, and Spam filter. We would get viruses on the network weekly, which is problem when you are a integrated healthcare provider. I started a semi annual IT security training with our staff to better teach them what to look for when working on a computer all day. I am proud to say in over two years we may have had only two viruses on the network and nothing even that dangerous. With over 135 employees that is a think an accomplishment.

Get a decent AV, ad blocker and teach yourself some security practices and what to look for while using the internet and you will be just fine.