issues with my gaming computer and monitors

MrTatom

Hi,
my computer often (usually 3-10 hours apart, and when I leave it on for about an hour) shuts down and restarts itself. Upon shutting down sometimes there is a bluescreen on the main screen and the other screen is totally black, and sometimes they both turn black. About a minute after that the computer restarts itself and is back to normal, until it happens again...
It also happens 5-10 minutes after I start the computer, most of the times.

Another problem that I have is that if I connect my main monitor to GPU1 with HDMI on both ends and the second monitor to GPU0 with HDMI on both ends, the second monitor shows weird pink and blue pixels all over the screen and neither restarting the screen nor restarting the computer fixed it so I have the main monitor on GPU0 and the second monitor on GPU1 which is the opposite of what I want it to be.
Also how should I connect both the monitors to GPU1? My ports there are HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, DVI.

I am not sure if it's related or not, but when I have only the windows OS and the antivirus at the background and nothing else is open (other than the task manager) the computer uses about 30% of the RAM. Is it normal?

If anybody can help me and has a suggestion or a solution, please let me know.

OS - Windows 10
CPU - Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
GPU0 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
GPU1 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM - 8GB 2400MHz twice
SSD - TOSHIBA-TR200 - 224GB
HDD - WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 - 932GB
Ethernet - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Main Monitor - Samsung C24F390 and 23.5 inch - connected to GPU0, HDMI on the GPU end, HDMI on the monitor end
Second Monitor - Samsung C24F390 and 23.5 inch - connected to GPU1, HDMI on the GPU end, HDMI on the monitor end
Motherboard - B360M AORUS Gaming 3-CF

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The computer shouldn't be restarting by itself. Go into the bios and check settings for what to when power fails, etc. Would set it stay off. What motherboard and bios version do you have?
I am not sure if it's related or not, but when I have only the windows OS and the antivirus at the background and nothing else is open (other than the task manager) the computer uses about 30% of the RAM. Is it normal?
Depending on what antivirus and what actual background processes are running, yes its normal. Disable all unnecessary startup programs.

MrTatom

Depending on what antivirus and what actual background processes are running, yes its normal. Disable all unnecessary startup programs.
Thanks, I just thought that 5GB is more than usual for antivirus + windows.

The computer shouldn't be restarting by itself. Go into the bios and check settings for what to when power fails, etc. Would set it stay off. What motherboard and bios version do you have?
How do I check the version of the bios?
My motherboard is B360M AORUS Gaming 3-CF

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
the computer uses about 30% of the RAM

Thanks, I just thought that 5GB is more than usual for antivirus + windows.

So which is it? 30 percent or 5gb? 30 percent of 8gb is only 2.4gb. Which antivirus program are you using? Mcafee and Nortons are memory hogs
How do I check the version of the bios?
You access the bios and it will tell you. The bios version will have a letter F in front of it. You can also download cpuz and then open the program and click on the Mainboard tab and it will tell you.

cpuz.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
F11 is almost 3 years out of date, latest bios for that board is F15b. Nortons like I said is one the most memory hogging antivirus programs out there. I have 16gb of ram and with no antivirus installed and 1 browser window open I'm using 22 percent of my ram, plus my pc has been on all day without a reboot. So between Nortons any unnecessary startup programs enabled that is most likely your memory issue. Open task manager click on the startup tab and see if you can disable anything from there.