Issues with placing orders at homedepot.ca

peter912

There are serious issues at this web site with regards to placing an order . I can understand a few days, or even weeks but this has been going on now, for over a year. I checked online to see if it was just me or other people as well and I was able to confirm that many, many people, are having the exact same issues as I am. People have been reporting it to home depot and I can't understand why they are not able to do anything about this ? How can they conduct business like this because people are buying elsewhere because of this ? Consumers fill everything out and are unable to pay because an error message appears, no matter how many different credit cards they attempt to pay with, they still get the same error message. Also they put in their home address and get a message "cannot ship to a P.O. box". They have money to hire the best computer techs, so how come they can't fix their problems ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure its not a browser related problem? Have you tried using a different browser?

peter912

Are you sure its not a browser related problem? Have you tried using a different browser?
I didn't try using a different browser but if it is effecting so many people, I think that the problem lies with homedepot.ca . Also I am not having any problems paying at other merchants, such as Amazon and Walmart etc. It is not worth the trouble because what they , (homedepot.ca) sell is available elsewhere as well.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Without trying a different browser, not much you can do but let them know that there website has issues. Nothing we can do here.

peter912

Without trying a different browser, not much you can do but let them know that there website has issues. Nothing we can do here.
ok, so I tried using three different browsers and three different credit cards and still got the same error message. I think it is safe to assume that the fault lies with their web site , right ? John, do you think it could be, that they receive so many online orders ,that it overwhelms their ability to process that number of orders and that's why people receive an error message ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it has anything to do with that. Contact home depot corporate for Canada and let them know exactly what you are doing when you get that error. They may already know about it from other users but maybe not. Thats all you can do right now. I'm wondering if the USA website is having the same issue.

peter912

I doubt it has anything to do with that. Contact home depot corporate for Canada and let them know exactly what you are doing when you get that error. They may already know about it from other users but maybe not. Thats all you can do right now. I'm wondering if the USA website is having the same issue.
Actually, I even tried to place an order over the phone and the customer service rep got the same error message . She said that she would report it to a higher up person . So we know that it isn't something that I am doing to cause this. I am just surprised that a huge company like this, is ok with losing out on online sales . I did a little investigating online and learned that other people have been having the same issues, even one year ago.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I used to work for home depot 2002 to 2009. It went downhill when a new owner took over.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
do you think it could be, that they receive so many online orders ,that it overwhelms their ability to process that number of orders and that's why people receive an error message ?
If it is complaining about not being able to ship to a PO box even though your address is not a box, they likely have an error in their validation code or an incomplete address dataset that defaults to PO box when not found as opposed to receiving too many orders and being overloaded or anything like that.

As to why a big company lets it fall down for so long, a lot of people will just go in and buy whatever it is if the online order fails, they may not know, or it could not affect many users and the cost to fix vs return is too low to bother.

peter912

If it is complaining about not being able to ship to a PO box even though your address is not a box, they likely have an error in their validation code or an incomplete address dataset that defaults to PO box when not found as opposed to receiving too many orders and being overloaded or anything like that.

As to why a big company lets it fall down for so long, a lot of people will just go in and buy whatever it is if the online order fails, they may not know, or it could not affect many users and the cost to fix vs return is too low to bother.
I think that everything that they sell, is most likely available from other online retailers , so it is not necessary to go to their store in person. I don't see how "they may not know", when their own customer service rep ,was unable to place an online order for me and said that she would notify a higher up about this. Going by what is being said in online forums, many users are experiencing problems. As to the cost of fixing it, that I don't know. Let's let Homedepot worry about it because it is their loss and not ours if they don't care.