It required HardDrive space to uninstall programs. what is going on???

Scrapped>.<

hi
like the title says. does anyone know what is going on? when i tryed to remove some unused programs so i can free up some space but it back fired because i have lass space after i uninstall the program than before.

For Example. I had 600Mb space laft on the hard drive after i unstall the programs i only had 350Mb laft. the programs are Microsoft Picture it and TI (software for the graphying calculator) and some software for Mp3 Players.

i have SP2.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Probably because Windows saved some restore points.
Btw, if you want to free some serious space, go to the windows folder and delete all the folders with names beginning with "$NtUninstall". But do this only if your system is stable because you won't be able to restore XP to an earlier configuration.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Probably because Windows saved some restore points.
Btw, if you want to free some serious space, go to the windows folder and delete all the folders with names beginning with "$NtUninstall". But do this only if your system is stable because you won't be able to restore XP to an earlier configuration.

Do all that then empty out your prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.. Also do a scan disk to check for drive errors.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I was also wondering if you where removing the software through Add/Remove Programs or just going in and deleting the programs.. I had a friend, We'll call him ME and when he got his first windows machine he thought the only way to uninstal programs was to go in and delete them but then found that the hard drive gave wrong readings on how much space was left... Well then he (me) ran scandisk and that fixed the problem and then always removed programs thereafter using Add/Remove Programs or by there own uninstal executable.

Scrapped>.<

Blue said:
I was also wondering if you where removing the software through Add/Remove Programs or just going in and deleting the programs.. I had a friend, We'll call him ME and when he got his first windows machine he thought the only way to uninstal programs was to go in and delete them but then found that the hard drive gave wrong readings on how much space was left... Well then he (me) ran scandisk and that fixed the problem and then always removed programs thereafter using Add/Remove Programs or by there own uninstal executable.

Will. most of times i use Add/Remove. but sometimes i just go into the C drive and delete the folder, because Add/Remove fails sometimes.

By the way how do you run scandisk? is that a program that is within the windows? or do i have to buy it?

I right clicked the C drive under the property/tool i saw check volume for error and defragment.

does defragment help prove the speed of the coumputer? I was told by a friend of my in school that i should run defragment every 1 to 2 weeks, for i work my harddrive very hard. ( :rolleyes: i have 260GB in my computer and they fill up like blink of an eye and gone just as fast so. :eek: )

Last edited:

Scrapped>.<

Blue said:
Do all that then empty out your prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.. Also do a scan disk to check for drive errors.

I could be wrong but i read somewere that by deleting the Prefetch can speed up my computer a bit but not for long because i will have to delete it agian and by doing this process over and over again it would decress my computer performance.

Any body care to correct my? :confused: