iTunes is freezing my computer

computer_pirson

Whenever I try play a song in iTunes, my computer completely locks up. I've been having this problem for a while and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Videos seem to play in iTunes just fine, but whenever I play a song it will randomly lock up and I have to do a hard restart.

I just did a fresh install of my O/S (EDIT: Vista Home Premium 64 bit) and the only things I have installed are the updates, iTunes, Steam and Windows Live Messenger.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
ASUS P5N-T Mobo (latest drivers)
Nvidia 8800 GT (latest drivers)
1000W Antec Power Supply
4 Gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 800Mhz
500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive

The board uses the SoundMAX software. And I'm playing through Logitech Z-5500 speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

EliteProHacker

Whenever I try play a song in iTunes, my computer completely locks up. I've been having this problem for a while and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Videos seem to play in iTunes just fine, but whenever I play a song it will randomly lock up and I have to do a hard restart.

I just did a fresh install of my O/S (EDIT: Vista Home Premium 64 bit) and the only things I have installed are the updates, iTunes, Steam and Windows Live Messenger.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
ASUS P5N-T Mobo (latest drivers)
Nvidia 8800 GT (latest drivers)
1000W Antec Power Supply
4 Gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 800Mhz
500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive

The board uses the SoundMAX software. And I'm playing through Logitech Z-5500 speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

what Version of iTunes do you have?

computer_pirson

It's a fresh install so there should be no problems. I just reinstalled Vista last night.

And just installed iTunes this morning. I have no antivirus or spyware applications running. The only processes running that don't belong to windows are Messenger, and the iTunes helper.

EliteProHacker

It's a fresh install so there should be no problems. I just reinstalled Vista last night.

And just installed iTunes this morning. I have no antivirus or spyware applications running. The only processes running that don't belong to windows are Messenger, and the iTunes helper.

ok try this, try opening a iTunes media file, not directly on the icon itself, it should be a little faster and it shouldn't crash the computer, if that works then your best bet is to probably do this unless I find a different solution.

computer_pirson

Yah I can't figure it out. I thought it was Quicktime that was screwing things up, so I uninstalled it and I'm just using the codecs from it.

computer_pirson

I will try that eventually. But it shouldn't be a problem with iTunes or I'm sure we would be hearing a lot more people saying they are having problems.

computer_pirson

Do you think it could have anything to do with the files that I am adding to iTunes. It seems to be working perfectly right now.

I'm gunna have to check my memory again to make sure that isn't the problem.

computer_pirson

Alright, it will take a while for me to check that though. Not sure I have time to do it right now, plus I can't even get it to freeze right now. It's been like a half an hour and I've been using it the whole time.

computer_pirson

Just installed iTunes 7.7.1.11 and so far it's going good. I installed the 32bit version of iTunes this time though. Not sure if that's gunna make a difference or not.