I've been away from hardware for awhile...

cliffracer

New Member
and I am not sure what kind of specs would be good for the computer I'm planning on building in 3 or 4 months. I have been too busy over the last 2 or 3 years to keep up to date with the progress hardware has made in that time, so I need a little advice. This computer is going to be used mainly for media purposes, and the only gaming I would be doing would be WoW if I go back to it. I probably won't have a ton of money when I'm ready for the build, but I also don't want it to be obsolete in a year. I will probably buy the components at newegg. The main things I need to know are how fast and how many cores does the processor need to be, how much ram, what kind of video card (I would like to be able to hook it up to a flatscreen HDTV), and how big the power supply should be. Thanks.
 
Well pending on your budget I would go for the i7 920, which is 4 cores @ 2.66ghz, i5 is also an option. RAM wise 2-3GB will serve you well, also ddr2 will be fine. Graphics card since u only play WOW go with the 9800gtx (inb4 ati fanboy) will crush WOW and most other games, and for power supply stick to 600watts and up.
 
I was looking to spend around $800 (about 500 GBP) but probably could go a bit higher if it made a big difference in performance.
 
This should do well for you. I'm sure someone can improve on it, but this is really good for the price. All of those manufacturers have good products...no off-brands here. The GPU and RAM even have a lifetime warranty.

Mobo- ASUS P7P55D-E:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

CPU- i5 750:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

RAM- G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

GPU- XFX Radeon HD4670 (Yes, it has HDMI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150449

Hard Drive- WD Caviar Green 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136334

LG DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

PSU- OCZ Modstream pro 700W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

Case: NZXT Beta EVO
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011758


Should run you around $780 after the rebates. It'll play any game you want and will be useful for quite some time. This is assuming you don't need an OS. It's 5 am now, but if you do need one I'll chop that down to size tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
This should do well for you. I'm sure someone can improve on it, but this is really good for the price. All of those manufacturers have good products...no off-brands here. The GPU and RAM even have a lifetime warranty.

Mobo- ASUS P7P55D-E:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

CPU- i5 750:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

RAM- G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

GPU- XFX Radeon HD4670 (Yes, it has HDMI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150449

Hard Drive- WD Caviar Green 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136334

LG DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

PSU- OCZ Modstream pro 700W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

Case: NZXT Beta EVO
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011758


Should run you around $780 after the rebates. It'll play any game you want and will be useful for quite some time. This is assuming you don't need an OS. It's 5 am now, but if you do need one I'll chop that down to size tomorrow.

LOL awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've found my next computer :good:
 
Back
Top