Jerky video- could it be the video card?

thebign

I just purchased a pretty powerful HP Pavilion a830n (http://www.exactchoice.com/profile_3266.aspx). The picture quality is just fine when I'm looking at a basically static image, but when I'm watching videos with a lot of movement (for ex, a video of a horse running) the video is very jerky and slow to react to quick changes. Could this because of a cheap video card? I don't understand why this is happening because my old computer (a Compaq Presario from around 5 years ago that is a lot less powerful) plays videos fine. Thanks for your input.

Kboy

Yes, it's got an integrated video card, just read what they [the website you put on your post] wrote about it:

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
"Integrated graphics" is a relatively low-cost approach to graphics, designed for the majority of computer users who mainly use email, surf the Internet, or work with productivity programs. In fact, the Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 900 has enough horsepower to do these things across two displays. Where high-performance graphics matter is 3D gaming and other graphics-intensive applications. In these areas, the GMA 900 will pale in comparison to even a $100 add-in graphics card.

I reccomend you buy a new AGP video card. Maybe a Radeon 9800 or something like that. It depends how much you wanna spend, the choice is yours, but I definitely recommend buying a new Video card.

Last edited:

thebign

Kboy said:
Yes, it's got an integrated video card,... I reccomend you buy a new AGP video card. Maybe a Radeon 9800 or something like that. It depends how much you wanna spend, the choice is yours, but I definitely recommend buying a new Video card.

Thanks for the advice. It's just shocking to me that my 5 year old computer (which has an onboard video chipset) plays better than something I spent $1,000 on.

Echo_

thats why i dont buy comps from oems

waste of money

with 1000 bucks i could build a nice comp that could play all teh games

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I reccomend you buy a new AGP video card
Look a little closer :) that is an i915G chipset.
You will need a PCIe video card if you choose to get one. I'd suggest goining into the bios and try allocating more RAM for video use before you spend money on a new card.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The picture quality is just fine when I'm looking at a basically static image, but when I'm watching videos with a lot of movement (for ex, a video of a horse running) the video is very jerky and slow to react to quick changes. Could this because of a cheap video card?
What's the framerate? Interlaced video?

I reccomend you buy a new AGP video card. Maybe a Radeon 9800 or something like that. It depends how much you wanna spend, the choice is yours, but I definitely recommend buying a new Video card.
I agree with the reccomendation but video playback is CPU/memory bound rather than GPU bound. HGaving a faster video card shouldnt make a difference (assuming hes doing movie playback rather than cutscene playback)

smftexas86

I always hated HP! they give you a really bad video card, which is then annoying to upgrade. When I had my Hp, it was a build on Video Card, so I had to disable the old video card, before putting the new card in( which is not the worst part) Everytime I would reinstall windows, I would have to take the new card out, dissable the old card and then put the new back in. It was just a hassle.

Kboy

Cromewell said:
Look a little closer :) that is an i915G chipset.
You will need a PCIe video card if you choose to get one. I'd suggest goining into the bios and try allocating more RAM for video use before you spend money on a new card.
Thanx for the correction, you're right. Tht's why my rating is Computer Newbie, lol.

thebign

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to return the machine and wait for prices to come down a bit before I upgrade. I guess I could just upgrade my video card (only PCIe and PCI expansion slots, no AGP- thanks for info) but then I'd have to worry about the computer recognizing the cheap onboard video chipset instead of the new video card and (from what I've read) disable it through the BIOS setup. Perhaps this is a fairly easy process but I don't think I want all that hassle (and also of choosing one particular video card to buy... with so many choices how can a novice like me decide?). It just seems like paying for the onboard video chipset that I'm not going to use PLUS a new video card to use in its place is not cost-effective.

Wow, I thought computers were supposed to make our lives easier, not more complicated. :) Oh well.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so I had to disable the old video card, before putting the new card in
Uh... with IGPs, you just pop the new card in and it automatically disables itself

I would have to take the new card out, dissable the old card and then put the new back in. It was just a hassle.
Card? :confused:

Perhaps this is a fairly easy process but I don't think I want all that hassle
Indeed it is simple but you're sitll best off to avoid it if possible :)

Wow, I thought computers were supposed to make our lives easier, not more complicated.
LOL if it was any easier someone else would have my job :p

smftexas86

I don't know why, but the onboard did not dissable itself. I had to go into device manager and dissable the onboard card. When I mean take the card out, I mean I had to physically remove the new video card, and set up windows through the old onboard video card, and then put the new video card back in. I couldn't use bios to dissable the onboard video card, because the settings for the users were limited to the basic things, like time and stuff like that.