Just a bit confuse, need memory for computer

xtal_01

Hi,

I just bought a used HP Z230 i7 4790 (this is to replace my computer that died ... had a 2008 build sticker on it ... hmmmm).

The manual says "non-ECC" "4x8GB" (for 32 gb) "ddr3-1600"

I don't see a voltage so ?????

I am looking on ebay for some used memory ... I may have to settle for 16 GB because of my tight budget but I am hoping for 32 gb.

I see a lot of memory out there.

I see some had different timing (I read this is the CAS rating) .... but will this matter to me on a "stock" machine?

I did see this one on ebay:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-32...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

But when I go to the Curtial site, it does not come up as one of the ones that they list as compatible ... why?

Lots of other memory ... all seems to meet the description ... so will it all work or what do I need to check for before I buy it????

Thanks so much ..... Mike

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you use your computer for that you need 32gb of memory? Basically just get a good brand name ddr3 1600 mhz with timings of 9-9-9-24. 1.5 will be the voltage and what you linked should work just fine. Just make sure its not high density, some Hp's are picky with ram. Don't worry about the compatibility as there is no way they will test each and every model available for each computer.

xtal_01

I don't need 32 gb. I run autocadd, solidworks, some video file conversion, ..... but not a single game. I tried these programs on an 8 gb machine and they ran but just chugged along. I tried them on a 16 gb machine .... ran great.

The thing is, I keep a computer forever (and ever and ever). My last one started with XP ... then 7 .... then 10. Autocad upgraded every year. When I put 2 gb in, they said I would never need more. Then I put in 4 and was told I would never need more ... then the same for 8 gb.

So, I asking myself do I buy 16 or 32 ??????

Honestly, my budget is tight ... thus the used computer ($200 plus $35 shipping).

I still need memory and a video card.

I keep asking myself should I spend $80 - $100 for 16 gb or try finding 32. I did a couple searches. Right now on ebay I saw some sell this week for $160. There are some $190 or best offer. I did check and in the last month at least twice someone got lucky and got it for $120 !

Do you think it is a waste or should I look to the future thinking 32 may be needed one day?

Also, any recommendations on a "reasonable" video card ... say $50 to $100? I am (was) running a GT 630 with 2 gb. It would be nice (but not a deal breaker) if I could run two monitors (I have an old dell and a gateway ... 1600 x 9000 ... $5 each at the recycle store) ... and at the same time have a hdmi output for the TV (my card only does two at a time and we don't have cable so it would be nice to watch youtube on the tv).

Thanks .... Mike

xtal_01

It is a tower. I actually found a dell, an hp and a lenovo ... all i7 4770 or 4790 ... all the same price. I chose the HP only because it had a 400 watt power supply. The others had 280W and 290W. I figured I would need this for a video card. SFF has only a 320W supply.

The 1050ti looks out of my price range. I was thinking of a 750 or if I could afford it a 760?

What do you think about the 16 vs 32?

Mike

beers

Staff member
You can run multiple monitors off of integrated assuming you have and can match more than one port. My z97 board has like three outputs. If you're just doing 2d work then most any card will work. You could throw your old card in and enable extended/multi monitors in bios and use both the card you have and the integrated outputs in tandem.

Now is kind of a poor time for RAM but you can just get 2x8GB. If you find it's not enough then just buy another kit. You can run both normal ddr3 (1.5v) and ddr3L (1.35v) but I wouldn't really mix them.

xtal_01

Question ... it has 8 gb in it (two 4 gb modules with two open slots).

I was told by a friend that I just can't add 8 more gig (two more 4 gb modules).

Is this true and if so why? There is two open slots but I was told the memory had to be "matched"?????

Mike
PS .... thanks for the explanation of DDR3 vs DDR3L !!!!!!!!!!

I am an "end user" ... I can plug things together and load drivers ... that is about it ... I just don't know that much about computers, they are a tool to me to do my other jobs ... heck, I don't even own a smart phone!

beers

Staff member
I was told by a friend that I just can't add 8 more gig (two more 4 gb modules).
He's full of crap.
had to be "matched"?????
Generally yes, if you can't match exactly then try to match the voltage, speed, and timings of the existing sticks for the most consistent performance. Otherwise the system will choose the slower of the two and run all modules at those parameters, unless you force your own parameters, which may or may not be stable.

xtal_01

This might be a good option for me!

If I could just add two more 4 gig sticks (8 gb) then I would have 16 gb total and be easy on my budget!

I am sure the machine has just stock (what ever HP puts into their machine) ram.

Mike

xtal_01

That is awesome!

I just got the notice from ebay that the computer has shipped ... should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Soooo ... adding 8 more gb would be great on my budget but do you think 16 gb total will be enough?

What do most people put in their computer now days?

xtal_01

Hey!

So I am still back to my original question .... this ram in the link below does not come up on the Crucial site as being OK in my computer ... any reason or maybe just old ram that they don't list anymore or ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-32...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

If it goes for anywhere near $100 .... that is just over the $80 or so I would be paying for 16 Gb .... if it goes much higher then it is out of my budge anyway.

Thanks so much again ..... Mike