just a quick question about SATA

M0ddingMan1a

ok, my question is.. sata drives that are 3.0gbps will still run on mobos with ports that are 1.5gbps right? with no problems? just that it might not exceed its maximum transfer rate?

Arm_Pit

banned
SATA don't use jumpers smart one
Some do, smart one.

modtown_net_btm.jpg

M0ddingMan1a

alright thanks a lot guys. and sry, forgot about searchin. just to prove, even tho u have been on this board for a long time and u tell others to search.. there are sometimes where u forget urself. =p

Angel.of.Death

Can I add to the question?

Note: Ill refer SATA150 as SATA I and SATA300 as SATA II

I have a 160GB SATA HDD that I bought 2 years ago (when SATA II didnt exist). Now, if i plug that into a motherboard witch supports SATA II, will SATA II be enabled at a speed of 3.0gbps?

Impr3ssiv3

the speed will be as fast as the slowest competitor hence it will run at 1.5gb/s

butim guessing your drive is 7200rpm so you wont even be able to use that much bandwith

Angel.of.Death

the speed will be as fast as the slowest competitor hence it will run at 1.5gb/s

butim guessing your drive is 7200rpm so you wont even be able to use that much bandwith

There is no competitor. It is the only HDD in the system. Theoretically, can it reach a speed of 3.0Gbps, or do you have to buy a SATA II HDD?