Just Bought A New Computer

Kingers

Hey guys im new here :) i just recently bought a new computer and would like a bit of advice on graphics cards. I'm looking to play fairly new games, such as Unreal 3, Call of duty 4 and perhaps crysis. Now im just wondering if i am going to need to get a new graphics card for my comp. The card that is in there now came with it is: Radeon HD2400PRO 256Mb DDR2 and the mother board is EG31M V.1.0??? If that means anything? And the cpu is Q6600 Ans 2 gig of RAM

So if anyone could give me a bit of advice and point me in the right direction that'd be great. Thanks

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
You'd definitely need a new graphics card if you want to play those games. Perhapse a 9600GT, 8800GS, 8800GT or HD3750. Also watch out for the powersupply, make sure it can handle the new card.

Geoff

VIP Member
Overall it's a nice system, however as the previous poster said you would need to upgrade the video card if you want to play those games.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah like mentioned either get a 9600GT or an 8800GT.

however i would still go with an 8800GT,I dont think the 9600Gts are that much better than a 8800GT tbh.
i would have thought it would have been more powerfull as its the next series :eek:

Geoff

VIP Member
yeah like mentioned either get a 9600GT or an 8800GT.

however i would still go with an 8800GT,I dont think the 9600Gts are that much better than a 8800GT tbh.
i would have thought it would have been more powerfull as its the next series :eek:
The 9600GT's aren't better then the 8800GT, although they are pretty close to the 3870 and not far away from the 8800GT. Then again they only cost around $170, versus the $200-$220 for an 8800GT 512MB.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
^ Yeah, and you can get the HD3870 for like $190 on Newegg.com I think, that'd be the best choice out of the three.

PunterCam

Does he really need a new card? I used an nvidia 7300gt (which I imagine to be in the same ballpark, but tell me if that's nonsense) to play all the games above at decent speeds... And I only had 1gig of ram at the time...

Smashkirby

Yeah but you play on low settings. He wants to play the games without slowdowns. I suggest you buy an 8800gt, 10% better than the 9600GT.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Does he really need a new card? I used an nvidia 7300gt (which I imagine to be in the same ballpark, but tell me if that's nonsense) to play all the games above at decent speeds... And I only had 1gig of ram at the time...

Of course he needs a new card! ;)

The HD2400XT is mainly for video streaming and other lesser applications. For gaming, he would need at least an HD3850 or a 9600GT.

Vestitor

Of course he needs a new card! ;)

The HD2400XT is mainly for video streaming and other lesser applications. For gaming, he would need at least an HD3850 or a 9600GT.

Agreed.

I mean I could play Crysis on my integrated Radeon Express 1200, but I had like 7-14 fps on low, basically unplayable.
Edit: BTW, On my Sapphire HD 3870 I can play Crysis Very High, 1280x1024 on very playable fps.

Last edited:

Kingers

ok well by the sounds of it im gonna need a new card, the 8800GT semms to be mentioned by alot of you, so im gueesin that must be a good card to have a look into. I talked to a guy at a comp shop and he seemed to metion that card a bit. And as mentioned above i would be looking to play those games with high detail. Thanks guys, I'll have a look into that card