Just bought a new mobo and it wont work?

FairDoos

I just upgraded my motherboard as my old one was out dated and i have now installed a new mobo from gigabyte and for some reason it wont display a picture on my monitor? Ive checked to see if all my components are compatible and i have re-sitted my graphics card and still no picture? Anyone help me out with this? Much appreciated thanks!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Are the fans starting or is it just dead? You did make sure you got all the standoffs under the board in the right places?

FairDoos

Are the fans starting or is it just dead? You did make sure you got all the standoffs under the board in the right places?

Yep and Yep fans are starting mobo is getting power bcause the CPU fan is working and the graphics card is getting power just not displaying a picture?

Droogie

Have you tried a different DVI cable?

It is also possible that the video card was damaged when you moved it, I would check the card on another PC (if possible) to rule out video card damage.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Got the 4 pin CPU power connector plugged in? If your sure the standoffs are correct/ not one where its not suppost to be and shorting out on the bottom of the board. Try restting the bios.

FairDoos

Have you tried a different DVI cable?

It is also possible that the video card was damaged when you moved it, I would check the card on another PC (if possible) to rule out video card damage.

2 problems i dont have another cable or another graphics card so im basically bummed on that idea. thanks for the help =]

FairDoos

Got the 4 pin CPU power connector plugged in? If your sure the standoffs are correct/ not one where its not suppost to be and shorting out on the bottom of the board. Try restting the bios.

Hmm worth a second check just to make sure i havent got any standoffs that i have mist and if that does not work then ill try and reset bios to reset the bios you take the batery out and place it back in dont you?

StrangleHold

Staff member
There should be a jumper near the battery. If the case has a speaker are you getting any beeps when you try to boot?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Think on that board its just 2 pins. Should be listed as somethng like CMOS reset. You put a jumper on it for a minute, then remove it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Any jumper will work. Just do it with the computer off and unplugged, plus after you unplug it, hit the power button a few times to discharge the P/S and board. Then put a jumper on the pins for a minute then remove it.

FairDoos

Any jumper will work. Just do it with the computer off and unplugged, plus after you unplug it, hit the power button a few times to discharge the P/S and board. Then put a jumper on the pins for a minute then remove it.

I feel like a noob atm i dont even no what a jumper looks like Haha

StrangleHold

Staff member
Cmos_Jumper.jpg

FairDoos

Arrrr ok i dont have one? What i do!? What i do!? What i do!? What i do!? :(
Are you able to buy them from a computer parts shop?

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you cant get it to boot in the end. Remove it from the case. Place the board on a cardboard box beside the tower. Just install the CPU/heatsink and fan, Video card/one stick of memory/plug the case connectors in (power switch connector)/plug the power connectors in. hook the monitor up and see if it starts up. When you do this dont let the corner of the board touch the case and short it out.

Last edited:

FairDoos

If you cant get it to boot in the end. Remove it from the case. Place the board on a cardboard box beside the tower. Just install the CPU/heatsink and fan, Video card/one stick of memory/plug the case connectors in (power switch connector)/plug the power connectors in. hook the monitor up and see if it starts up. When you do this dont let the corner of the board touch the case and short it out.

ok tried all that and it still fails to work ill try the same graphics card on a different board hold on

EDIT: Just great. Now my motherboard is continuously beeping this isnt my day atall. :l Continuous beep = Memory problem right?
EDIT: Ok just re-sitted memory now its ok oh and look at that graphics card works on my old board WHAT THE F**K! AGHNAHAAHGHAGHHG!!!

Last edited: