WIndows 10 Just can't login

novicegeek

Okay, it's kind of weird, but this is what I have been battling. A co-worker's computer stopped allowing him to log in.

What we are dealing with is an HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF. What is happening is this:

The computer will go to the startup page (where you can press CTRL + ALT + DEL to sign in); however, there is no response from the keyboard, so he cannot sign in to the computer or even get to the login page.

The keyboard WILL work in BIOS, so I would not imagine this is a USB or keyboard issue. Oddly enough, I do not get lights when pushing cap or number locks

I've tried various things in BIOS, all without success, and I've tried unplugging the mouse and keyboard and plugging in after unplugging the computer for about 30 seconds while holding the power button.

I also ran a hardware diagnostic UEFI. It passed.

To make matters worse, our new IT guy is stumped as well. I've tried searching online, but my searches do not reveal anything applicable to this situation.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? I am totally open for suggestions at this point.

Darren

Staff member
Windows might have a borked driver for the keyboard that breaks it once Windows loads. Try a different one.

If your keyboard lights don't respond/work, this is a keyboard issue. You can pop up the onscreen keyboard from the login screen under accessibility options, might get you in.