Just installed a new graphics card but it having problems

Socalboy

Okay, so I just bought a new graphics card. I installed it, and when I turned on my computer, it froze when windows started loading. So I went into safe mode and it said the graphics card was there and working, so I installed all the drivers, and rebooted but I still had the same problem. My computer is a hp pavilion a1240n, and the graphics card is a GeForce 6200. The guy at the store said it should work, but it doesn't. So what's the problem and how can I fix it?
Thank you
Btw, yes I'm aware my power supply is only 250, but the guy at the store said I would be fine. And a couple days ago I bought a graphics card that required 230 power supply, and I had the same problem. The guy said it would be fine for that specific model of the graphics card. Should I reformat and try again? Could it be my os?

FuryRosewood

did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the card? typically you uninstall driver, pull card, disable onboard (if it was running on the onboard video) and then install the physical card, after powering off the system of course. When this is done, you just boot the system again, install the driver...and your good

claptonman

I do not know the exact specifications of that card, but even though it is 250w, the quality of it is not up to par with the power of a graphics card.

Did it have a graphics card before it? It may have leftover drivers causing issues.