Just need a simple answer about these to processors!

Ben_1988

I have found 2 laptops that are good value and very well equipped. Theyre exactly the same price but the processors are different... 1 is a AMD Athalon 64 3200+ and the other has a P4 3.4 GHZ with HT. The P4 model is a brand new one and has a higher resolution screen. They both have 1GB RAM etc... which would perform the best?

nomav6

I pick AMD over intel but thats just me, but you might want to check out the thread about AMD vs. Intel I think its under overclocking.

SpetsnaZ

AMD is supposetly better for gaming while P4 is better for APPS.

That's what I read on different PC websites.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but you might want to check out the thread about AMD vs. Intel I think its under overclocking.
Dunno how relevant/useful that thread is for notebooks though... notebooks have a lot more emphasis on heat and battery life than raw performance.

Personally, I'd pick the AMD but realistically i dont think it would matter much :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would definately go with the pentium 4. It runs cooler and is a lot faster
Cooler temps dont really matter that much unless you're looking to OC :) In either case you shouldnt be using stock cooling so it wont really matter which way you go :) As for faster, that's another debate

72montecarlo

Yea concentrating more on the fast aspect of the chip. I wouldnt go with the AMD laptop unless it has at least an Athlon 64 fx-51 .

tristan

Get the AMD.. those 64's are badass. Your going to start a war with intel vs. amd ppl posting that. lol

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Get the AMD.. those 64's are badass. Your going to start a war with intel vs. amd ppl posting that. lol
Gonna have a war for that comment too :p

NOTE TO PEOPLE WANTING TO START A PISSING CONTEST
If you're gonna come in and just start saying "get this, get that" -- save your energy -- if you're not gonna back up your comments, dont bother.

72montecarlo
They dont make a FX51 for mobiles and I dont think they ever will (nor need to... not for mobiles). A64 platform is a very nice upgrade from the XP-M chips but like I said before, between the two, you cant really go wrong

tristan

Its all preference on this one. There isnt enough of a performance difference to be able to notice. I say get the AMD because im an AMD fan, and that is merely it (and im a fan of the 64's). Sorry, dont want a pissing contest I just know intel vs. amd is a never ending fight.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, dont want a pissing contest I just know intel vs. amd is a never ending fight.
Fair enough :) It's just that when people start making suggestions based on personal preferences and not enough facts... things get biased and confused.... same thing for people that put all their argument based on benchmarks too :p