Just want to make this clear.

If a motherboard supports PCI-E and so does the video card then you should not worry. It will work fine, it is just that slot 1.0 is a bit older and maybe a little slower than 2.0, although 2.0, as it is new, it will run both - 1.0 and 2.0
 
I havn't got my HP Pavilion Slimline s5120f(tigerdirect needs to hurry up), but what I was planing to do is move the motherboard to a different case and add a graphics card and a power supply.

MB in that HP is a Pegatron M2N68-LA(Pegatron is an OEM name Asus uses):

Form factor

* Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

So the case you picked out here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5536352&sku=C283-1244 is fine. It will handle a micro-ATX nicely.

Transfer of the IO plate will also be easy since the HP uses a standard size plate.

USB headers will also be no problem though you will only have 2 headers to work with. Of the 4 on the MB, 2 are single row.

F-panel appears to be marked so even that should pose no problem getting the PS/HDDLED/PWRLED/RS hooked up. If the markings are not clear, pay attention to the existing plug and map the color codes to the pins. You should not have to modify anything.

Space on the MB is tight, so however you do the GPU make sure it will not interfere with the memory slots or run into the NB/SB heatsink.
 
Another question.

If I wanted to add an extra fan to the case I selected do I have to look for a slot on the motherboard or is there a connector that connects to the power supply?
 
Depending in the fan you get most have a molex connector that you would just connect to a power supply lead like you do a cdrom drive.
 
There is chassis fan and CPU fan plugs on that MB so as Johnb said you'll have to power any additional fans off the molex plug.
 
I wouldn't recommend it. I actually once moved most of a HP Slimline into a new case, and it was all sorts of trouble. The first, and most major problem I ran into is that while on HP's site they say that the motherboard is a MicroATX, it actually turned out to be a MiniITX, which will not fit a MicroATX case. I ended up getting a new mobo, but there where other problems as well. The power supply and the original mobo had some sort of odd power connector that was just like the standard 24 pin connector, except smaller. Also, the HSF assembly was custom made for that mobo, so a new HSF had to be purchased for the new motherboard.
 
It screwed directly into the motherboard with a bracket on the bottom like some do, but it didn't comply with any existing standards. The HSF would only fit that one model of motherboard.
 
It screwed directly into the motherboard with a bracket on the bottom like some do, but it didn't comply with any existing standards. The HSF would only fit that one model of motherboard.

So the things I'm about to do to this HP isn't even going to work because of this HSF?
 
Like I said in the first post, the biggest problem might be the motherboard. The HP Slimline I had was a different model, but the board was MiniITX, not MicroATX. I'm not saying yours is the same way, but I would recommend you wait to get the computer before ordering more parts. If the board is MiniITX, then you'd either need to get a different board for the case or get a different case. And if you get a different board then you might need a different HSF.
 
Back
Top