Kaspersky Vs Norton anti virus?

ttomm46

My Norton 2009 is running out soon...i like the fact its fairly light on resources....and i can order the Norton internet security for about 22 bucks online....Kaspersky is more expensive for sure.....I've heard its a system hog..Is this true?..I have win xp pro.1gb of ram and a intel 2.67 ghz cpu...Which should I go with ?..Forget AVG and Trend and all that..On Av comparitives Norton and Kaspersky were leading the pack..any suggestions on which of the two to go with?:eek:

FairDoos

Kaspersky hands down. I dont even notice any hogging when i use it.

Norton is complete rubbish in my opinion

ScOuT

VIP Member
Norton is crap?

I use Norton on all 4 computers I have. It is a very simple to use and very effective anti-virus program. There really is not anything wrong with it. The most resources it will ever use is about 5% on average and that is during a full system scan. Any other time...it has a sleep mode and uses no resources at all.

I think Norton is a great program...for $22 stay with it.

Last edited:

tremmor

your right. its always been noted by many here Norton was a hog. Ive tried many. AVG free works fine but does not fix everything. Then again i can use Kaskpersky and picks up more. And i could use another and it will pick up something else. Everything out there does not pick up everything. I do think some are safer than others. I settled on Kaspersky internet security. better than many.

im just saying i tried all the trial ver's at one time. i wanted the security because i hang out. security for the grand kids and some kind of blocking. if your a basic user and don't go downstairs then free will likely work fine.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

From what I've heard, in the last couple of years Norton has made some pretty considerable improvements, including better detection and using fewer system resources, but for me it's too little too late. I've been using AVG Free for about 4 years now with very few problems, but if I were to pay for an anti-virus it would definitely be Kaspersky.

pies

I usually never go with norton, but I must say 2010 internet security worked pretty darn well.
I'd have to see what they offer in 2011 and see what they improved upon.

dannaswolcott

Kaspersky all the way. Norton is a legal virus.. Uninstall it asap. Id rather go with out Anti Virus then have Norton installed. Deff go with Kaspersky!!!!

Breadman177

I've tried Norton once and it worked fine but it never failed when I would get into a dungeon on a game it would lower the screen just to ask me if something was ok and I could not figure out how to change that. Hell I wasn't even sure it actually was an option. Switched to mcaffe and didnt have those problems somewhere along the lines I switched to AVG free and still havent had any problems.

jevery

No matter how much criticized and reviled, Symantec produces some of the most popular security software out there. Since 2007-2008 when Symantec completely reworked their security products, those products, by any measure, appear competitive with the best. This seems to be collaborated by AV Comparatives naming Symantec's NAV as Product of the Year 2009, PCWorld naming NIS 2010 Top Internet Security Suite for 2010, and PC Magazine granting the Editor's Choice Award to NIS 2010.

What I hear most often is what a resource hog Norton is, while I can find no empirical evidence that Symantec's current products significantly impact system performance more than Kaspersky, MSE or AVG. Check AV Comparatives Performance Testing. Total Overall Score for Impact on System Performance, Kaspersky 193, MSE 190, Symantec 188, AVG 164.

I'd think that if NAV and NIS are really such garbage there would be a lot of credible reviews and test results to confirm this.

Egon

My grandpa used to use Norton. It took him 30 minutes to open internet explorer from a cold boot. I disabled it and then bam, his computer ran sooo much better.

ttomm46

No matter how much criticized and reviled, Symantec produces some of the most popular security software out there. Since 2007-2008 when Symantec completely reworked their security products, those products, by any measure, appear competitive with the best. This seems to be collaborated by AV Comparatives naming Symantec's NAV as Product of the Year 2009, PCWorld naming NIS 2010 Top Internet Security Suite for 2010, and PC Magazine granting the Editor's Choice Award to NIS 2010.

What I hear most often is what a resource hog Norton is, while I can find no empirical evidence that Symantec's current products significantly impact system performance more than Kaspersky, MSE or AVG. Check AV Comparatives Performance Testing. Total Overall Score for Impact on System Performance, Kaspersky 193, MSE 190, Symantec 188, AVG 164.

I'd think that if NAV and NIS are really such garbage there would be a lot of credible reviews and test results to confirm this.

I agree,,This version of Norton 2011 runs like a champ!