KB5034441 download error

Mili

I'm getting a download error when trying to install Windows update KB5034441 on Windows 10. I saw an article from Microsoft that said this was a known issue and to ignore it, but I can't because not having Windows up to date prevents me from running remoting software for work. The only solution according to work is to clear this error somehow.

I retried the update and restarted but the result was the same. This is the Microsoft article I looked at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...y-9-2024-62c04204-aaa5-4fee-a02a-2fdea17075a8

Edit:

I looked through some articles online about this and want to make sure these are the correct commands. Is recovery the same as winre? Or do I not have a winre thus do not need to delete this?

part 3 is primary
part 4 is recovery
disk 0 is gpt

These are the commands I'm thinking about using, do I need to make corrections?

reagentc /disable
diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0
list part
sel part 3
shrink desired=250 minimum=250
sel part 4
delete partition override
list disk
create partition primary id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
gpt attributes =0x8000000000000001
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
list vol

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does your computer actually have a recovery partition? If not, then you don't need the update.

beers

Staff member
The only solution according to work is to clear this error somehow.
They can always whitelist known KB values especially if they're already known to have issues or are known to be irrelevant to your environment, they're just being lazy. That being said usually the vulns that bypass things like full disk encryption are a bigger deal than others, they could give you a brief remediation window though.

I'd make the help desk figure it out, then you aren't also personally blamed for sucking up 4+ hours on an issue. If they can't figure it out then send me a patched PC and I'll ship you back what I have.

Make sure you have a backup of the data you need before executing against that script since doing the wrong thing can dump your data.

Mili

Does your computer actually have a recovery partition? If not, then you don't need the update.
I need it to be able to clear the pending updates. Vendor software will not run on the machine unless I do. Even if the update is not needed and harmless to ignore, it will still refuse to run.

Mili

They can always whitelist known KB values especially if they're already known to have issues or are known to be irrelevant to your environment, they're just being lazy. That being said usually the vulns that bypass things like full disk encryption are a bigger deal than others, they could give you a brief remediation window though.

I'd make the help desk figure it out, then you aren't also personally blamed for sucking up 4+ hours on an issue. If they can't figure it out then send me a patched PC and I'll ship you back what I have.

Make sure you have a backup of the data you need before executing against that script since doing the wrong thing can dump your data.
It doesn't matter if I take a whole day to fix it. It's not like much else can be accomplished otherwise. Though would these commands really take that long? The help desk just said I have to clear the pending updates, that is the scope of their help, they are just a vendor so it's not their problem, that's the vibe I get from them.

I just wanted to have an extra set of eyes look over the commands in case I had an error that could be spotted and fixed. Per a suggestion on another forum, I added this to the end of my command list:

exit
reagentc /enable

The IT department (meaning Google and I) will give it a go in a couple of days if I don't see any other suggestions.

Thanks!