WIndows 10 Keep losing sound when logging back in

jo86

Hey forum. I've got this Asus desktop and I don't know if it's some of the latest updates throughout the past few months or what, but every time I try to log in, this can be after a Restart or even just after Sleep, the computer loses its audio. So I have to do that maneuver of going to Device Manager, deleting the Audio drivers, then restarting the PC. So then the audio works fine again, until the next time I return from Sleep (or a Restart). And this is after a clean Windows install I just did. Any idea what's going on and how to explain this ?? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What model of asus desktop do you have? Have you tried looking for a newer audio driver. Can you post a screenshot of what is listed under sound in device manager?

jo86

What model of asus desktop do you have? Have you tried looking for a newer audio driver. Can you post a screenshot of what is listed under sound in device manager?
thx for the reply.

- Model is AS K31AD.

- No screenshot because it's in French so I might as well give you the translation instead: it says High Definition Audio Device. There's two of those. That's it.

- No I have not tried manually downloading a newer audio driver. I'll give that a shot right now.

jo86

P.S.: I just looked for the newest Audio driver and downloaded the file. It was from 2014. Which is indeed when I bought this thing, just about. The file had folders that said "Vista", "Vista 64" on them. I'm guessing the computer may not be totally compatible with Windows 10. Like it runs under it, but then weird shit like this happens. Before that, whenever Windows had a major update and I accepted, the entire hard drive was basically formatted. Just from an update, like a clean sweep. Maybe I should just get some version of Windows 8 and install that on it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Those are just generic windows drivers, you actually need the specific drivers for them. This driver might only change 1 of them.

You will need to have a program installed that will handle RAR files though.

Let me know if that takes care of both of them.

If it doesn't, then we can get info about what driver we need by right clicking on that specific one and click on properties, then click on the details tab, click on hardware id and give me the vendor and device id numbers.

jo86

hey john. Thanksfor that. I downloaded the driver and installed and although it worked at first, it did the same thing as usual: go to Sleep, and then after logging in, no sound. Tried a few different ways, got the Realtek software to appear, tried different jacks in the computer, front and back, same thing every time. The best I can do is 'Repair Audio' but it'll work with some sound (like the high pitched note they play upon verification) but not all sound. Nothing from an MP4 file or YT clip.
Any idea? .. This is most strange. Could it be hardware related ??

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is listed under sound now? Did that driver take care of both entries? It's still possible there is a newer driver out there. I would need the vendor and device Id numbers to hunt down the latest driver for it.

jo86

What is listed under sound now? Did that driver take care of both entries? It's still possible there is a newer driver out there. I would need the vendor and device Id numbers to hunt down the latest driver for it.
hey man. Listen I installed Windows 8. Sound worked. But... no internet ! Had to manually install the Wifi drivers, and it caught every Wifi in the country except my router. So then I decided to get a Windows 10 version that was older, so I got one from March 2020. Installed that. All good now. Wifi and sound work. So the takeaway is: for that ASUS desktop in particular, something went fundamentally wrong with the latest OS updates, and one simply needed to revert back to an older OS version for everything to run as normal.