Keeping both a desktop and laptop

blahblah900

I know many of you have both laptops and desktops. I currently now have both a laptop and a desktop. The laptop is the inspiron 6000 and i do carry it around sometimes but usually keep it at home. The desktop is a dell one also and i have a 15' lcd monitor to it. I prefer to use the laptop because its faster for some reason, not sure why.

Is there a point of me even keeping my desktop? I see no point of having both of them when I am home since I will only be using one of them? Should i bother selling it even though its worth very little? Or should i just sell my laptop and keep the desktop?

If you had to just stick with one, which one would you rather keep? Also, why is it that some people prefer a desktop whereas some prefer a laptop?

blahblah900

the desktop is a dell dimension dv051 pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz
2.79ghz 504 MB of ram

My laptop is a dell inspiron 6000 which is 15'4 laptop. It's speed is about 1.7 Ghz, 512 ram

NJNETSFAN

keep the laptop, I have both a desktop and laptop, my Laptop sounds to be about the same specs as yours(except mines a toshiba). and HDD is 100GB so I can fit a lot of stuff on it. Your desktop seems older so I'd just get rid of it. My laptop sits on my desk next to me most of the time, but the last time I used it was like 2 weeks ago because I have a nice desktop that I use 90% of the time. Plus with the laptop you can go anywhere without unplugging 50 million wires.

I have both a laptop and desktop also. As far as which one is better, well sounds like yours are similar in performance, so it comes down to preference. I like the desktop better. The mouse is such a pain on the laptop although I know I could get a real one to hook up to it. The reason we got both is our main desktop system crashed about 6 months back. Took about a week to get back up and running. Had to find all the drivers, printers, reload. Even as convenient as new systems are...still was a pain.

If you don't feel you will get much money for it anyway, keep it, tuck it away just in case. Use it to back up your "main" system once a week or so. That way if one crashes or is stolen, you will have no down time.

blahblah900

my dell desktop is 2.7ghz but my laptop is 1.7ghz and i have a lot of stuff in my desktop and now it runs way slower than my desktop.

I also downloaded too many things in it and have about 30gb of stuff stored and it has just a 69gb capacity. Is there any way to make my desktop go faster like it did before?

My laptop doesn't have much stuff in it so it still goes REAL FAST and faster than my desktop whether its starting up, shutting down or browsing. I currently have 17gb used and a 51gb capacity on my laptop but it goes fast.

HOw can i make my desktop go faster ? I have ad aware and spybot already and have defragged... it only cleared up like 1 percent or something along the lines.

wizle

write everything,that you want to keep,to a cd and do a clean install of your OS. That will bring new life back to your desktop. I do that about every 3 months because I'm a D/L freak. It also wipes out any virus' an malware out that you may have

Geoff

VIP Member
I've had both, and I have a laptop now. I find that there are only a few select times where the laptop is actually useful.

I brought it on vacation with us once. I thought it would be something I would use constantly, but I actually barely used it, even on the plane. And right now my laptop is setup so I use my 19" LCD, keyboard, and mouse. So it's like I dont even have a laptop :)

blahblah900

how do i write all the programs in a cd? What do i need? I don't have the reboot cd or whatever that name is called. I do have regular CDs that are blank.

Jonyboy

i'd prefer to keep the desktop because you can upgrade that forever and ever (with a motherboard change every 10 years).