Key Qualities

g4m3rof1337

Buying A Gaming Laptop

For a gaming laptop, what are some needed specs?

I was looking at a 17'' Screen, 2-4gb of Ram, SLI 8600 GT's, how would those be?

Thanks.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Something like this:
$1,769
* 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T8100
* Mobile Intel PM965 Express chipset
* 17" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display with 1440x900 WXGA+ native resolution, native 720p signal support
* 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
* Two 160GB SATA hard drives
* HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti +/- double-layer drive, supports 12 formats
* Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (802.11a/g/n)
* Bluetooth v2.0+EDR
* NVIDIA SLI Dual GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 767MB total available graphics memory
* Four built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with subwoofer
* Built-in Web cam, microphone
* 10/100/1000 ethernet
* IEEE 1394, RJ-45, RJ-11 ports
* RGB, S-video, HDMI, S/P DIF, headphone outputs
* Genuine Windows Vista Premium

Worth the money? Think it could run COD4 max?

g4m3rof1337

Something like this:
$1,769
* 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor T8100
* Mobile Intel PM965 Express chipset
* 17" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display with 1440x900 WXGA+ native resolution, native 720p signal support
* 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
* Two 160GB SATA hard drives
* HD DVD-ROM/DVD SuperMulti +/- double-layer drive, supports 12 formats
* Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (802.11a/g/n)
* Bluetooth v2.0+EDR
* NVIDIA SLI Dual GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 767MB total available graphics memory
* Four built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with subwoofer
* Built-in Web cam, microphone
* 10/100/1000 ethernet
* IEEE 1394, RJ-45, RJ-11 ports
* RGB, S-video, HDMI, S/P DIF, headphone outputs
* Genuine Windows Vista Premium

Worth the money? Think it could run COD4 max?

Bump, how does that look?

I went to the store and looked at it, looks nice, just want to know how it'll run.

Thanks.

Burn_all

yea 17" are exspensive i found something simular for $1694 but it dident come with vista, and a slightly better video card but less HD space, and a better screen o_O but no blue tooth , but yours is instore so ofcourse it will cost a lil more.. looks nice to me running CoD4 maxxed i dunno.. i dont have the game o_O its a pretty good looking laptop to me though if u shop aroud u mite be able to find something simular a lil cheaper or try n find a sale, or rebate one, but if u want it now give er thou i'd suggest throwing in more ram to run vista because i'm pretty sure it wont run too fast with 2gb ram.

CPTMuller

It's a nice computer but I think that you might be better off getting a laptop with only one GPU because the performance gains from SLI dont have any positive effects on power and heat.

g4m3rof1337

Toshiba.

I customized a laptop for around $2600 with a single 8800GTX.

I'll run some more customizations later.

Thanks.

HumanMage

Heck, you should leap for the new Dell XPS, PC Gamer did a review on it...its a REALLY good gaming laptop. Don't know the price, but I'd wager its a lot of money. Just a thought:p

Vizy

I really don't know if it could max COD4 but, with the built in microphone, you could talk smack so they hear you in the game and in real life also (double whammy.) this only applies to your famous LANs though.

g4m3rof1337

I am looking into a single 8800GTX, what do you think?
Or how would SLi 8700 GT's? I am leaning more towards the Single GTX.

Would that max out my Games?

I ask because its a laptop version.

Thanks.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

Wonder why this thread isn't getting much attention.

I am leaning more towards the Dual 86's, what do you think?

Max COD4? Play future games?

Alienware m15x has a single 8800, but it is a 15" and starts at $1500. The alienware m17x is 17", can have 8600/8700/8800sli, and starts at around $2100. Try dell's and sager also.

Also, is sli doesn't offer more than 15 percent over a single gpu, dual 8600's won't be that good. I would really recommend a single 8800 or dual 8700's.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I cant get any straight answers from anyone, would the MacBook Pro with a single 8600 play COD4 max and stuff?

I have a friend with two 8600's... They're Ok. He can max CoD4, but they aren't great! How much more expensive is the GTX? That'd be by far the better deal!

g4m3rof1337

A GTX build would be around $2500.

So it can max COD4, but you dont think for some future games as well?

Thanks.

Kornowski

VIP Member
A GTX build would be around $2500.

So it can max COD4, but you dont think for some future games as well?

Thanks.

That's a fair bit more money, isn't it...
Yeah CoD4, maybe some other games. But I don't really know how long it'll last for... I mean, they aren't exactly great cards. I know it's a laptop 'n all.

If the price wasn't an issue for you, the GTX is better.

What about Alienware, how are their laptops?

g4m3rof1337

Their laptops are good, but if money wasn't a problem, within reason, the GTX would be my choice.

I just noticed the Toshiba and the reviews that struck me.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, if money isn't a problem, Then I'd go for the GTX! When you think about it though, Two 8600's in a laptop is pretty damn good! So either way, I'm sure it'll be a good decision!