Keyboard and mouse dont work

SGC622

ok i just picked up a computer today (ECS L7VMM2 REV:1.1 V/S/L, amd athlon xp2000+) picture below:

123dhj.jpg

currently i have installed a freshly formatted 20gb hard drive, with a Kingston 256mb ram.
I tried to install kubuntu 9.10 and when it gets to the screen with the select a language, i cant type anything, and i noticed the mouse doesnt light up either. so because i cant type anything in it will boot into the live desktop where all of a sudden my mouse lights up and keyboard starts working. Same thing when i tried to install windows xp it booted up and when it got to the screen where it said to pick a partition it started working, but instantly when it rebooted and said hit any key to boot from cd it did nothing and hung there cause i couldnt hit any button. Does anyone know how to fix this or even what it is? im guessing that for some reason bios doesnt have the drivers. for the keyboard and mouse and thats why they only work when (im assuming) the os i try to install loads the drivers.
Any help is appreciated thanks guys

Also my keyboard and Mouse are usb

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to use a ps/2 type mouse and keyboard to go into the bios and enable usb legacy devices, save changes and reboot. Then you can attach your usb keyboard and mouse.

JLuchinski

You will have to use a ps/2 type mouse and keyboard to go into the bios and enable usb legacy devices, save changes and reboot. Then you can attach your usb keyboard and mouse.

X2. I've had to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard after getting a virus. Good thing to keep those around, same with floppy disk drives.

Hi,
If you have just moved it and things are not working, the first thing I would suspect is that the issue is caused by loose connections. Open the case (with the power unplugged) and reseat all the connections and expansion boards. Most likely that will fix the issue. If it still doesn't work, you can reset the BIOS back to default. With a desktop, there is usually a jumper (a little plastic and metal connector that can be put on 2 pins sticking up -- you can usually see one on your hard drives) on the motherboard. It is basically a very primitive switch -- if it is on the pins, the current flows between them and if it is removed then no current. The best thing for that would be to check the online manual for your system to learn how to reset it. It will usually be under the heading of resetting the BIOS or resetting the CMOS. (Once it is reset, if there were any settings that you have changed then you will have to go back in and rechange them again.)

Hope this helps.
Thanks