keyboard clean?

Darren

Staff member
My Microsoft Sidewinder X4 is a rubber dome keyboard, not mechanical. Definitely one of the nicest non mechanical keyboard you can get. I've spilled.... "water".... on it before at least once. I popped off every single key with a flat head screew driver. These parts are just the plastic so I dumped them all in a bowl with dish soap and hot water to let them soak. I then just doused and scrubbed down the keyboard with rubbing alcohol to clean it and then compressed air to blast it all off. After the keys soaked for a while just rinse them well and let 'em dry. Reassemble and good as new.

This is when I learned that my keyboard actually has a drain in it. Had it on my lap and was dumping rubbing alcohol on it when suddenly it was draining out of the bottom onto my legs. They thought of everything.

Intel_man

VIP Member
For a lot of those rubber dome keyboards, drain holes are designed into the keyboard in case people spill stuff on it. The key thing to remember is that, if you do spill stuff on your keyboard, don't flip it over immediately as the liquids will then get into those tight areas where your keys are making contact with the rubber domes. Especially if you spilled drinks like coke onto it, you'll end up having sticky keys if you flip it over. Just let it "drain" and clean it up afterwards without flipping it over.

aldan

yeah,i have an old logitech with the rubber pad.first day i had it i spilled a beer on it.ended up hosing it out in the shower and letting it dry.almost ten years later its still working fine.its had a few showers since the first one.lol

Darren

Staff member
For a lot of those rubber dome keyboards, drain holes are designed into the keyboard in case people spill stuff on it. The key thing to remember is that, if you do spill stuff on your keyboard, don't flip it over immediately as the liquids will then get into those tight areas where your keys are making contact with the rubber domes. Especially if you spilled drinks like coke onto it, you'll end up having sticky keys if you flip it over. Just let it "drain" and clean it up afterwards without flipping it over.

I spilled a little Dr. Pepper on one side once and the keys just turned to glue until I cleaned them. The drains prevent electrical damage but you still gotta clean it.