keyboard clean?

kenny1999

1. What is the common way to clean a keyboard?
2. Is it really necessary to clean a keyboard? Can I just leave dust inside forever?

Shlouski

VIP Member
I just clean mine out with a paint brush while holding it upside down so dirt will fall out, then I wipe it all down with a cloth with some alcohol or window cleaner. Apply the product to the cloth not the keyboard.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I spray mine with the compressor now and again. It's a first generation Logitech G15 and dust sticks to it like no tomorrow, so I gave up keeping it spotless.

tremmor

I quit also. Keep food away and just collect dust only. Upside down and shake, blowout keyboard
and maybe use a wet q-swab between keys, and use a wet wipe to shine it up.

Geoff

VIP Member
Mine has quite a bit of cat hair and dust, even though I'm careful about food. I usually just shake mine upside down and a decent amount comes out.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I pull out my keys to clean my keyboard. The only thing to use is either water, or 99% isopropyl alcohol. Anything stronger than that, and you may risk damaging the printed labels on the keycaps.

tremmor

Ive taken out keys before. Its a pain in the assss.....
I would take a paper click and straighten it out and
make a 'T' handle with needle nose pliers. make a 1/8 bend on
the end to reach in there and pull it out. To much work. If it gets
that bad i will buy another keyboard and call it a day.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Ive taken out keys before. Its a pain in the assss.....
I would take a paper click and straighten it out and
make a 'T' handle with needle nose pliers. make a 1/8 bend on
the end to reach in there and pull it out. To much work. If it gets
that bad i will buy another keyboard and call it a day.
I have a mechanical keyboard... much easier to take off the keys. :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I spray mine with the compressor now and again.
That's all I do as well. The keys come off mine so I usually take them off first, blast everything out with air and put them back on. Or if I am lazy, a couple shots of air with the keys on.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Cant remember, who was it that put everything in a dishwasher? Don't do that, that was just a question, lol.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Sfinx never did make a second post to let use know how his cleaning went or is the fact he didn't an indication of how it went :D
I think I can hazard a guess how S.T.A.R.S ended up getting banned.

C4C

"Thanks for the advice Stars. Putting my double 3d cards PC in the washing machine right now.
Will let you guys know in a few days how it turned out."
- Sfinx

LOL. I was here when S.T.A.R.S got banned and I believe it had something to do with multiple accounts... I think he was harassing some other members as well.. It's been too long, and too good of a time since he was hit with the ban hammer.

Cleaning Keyboards: I typically shake mine out and use a Clorox/Lysol disinfectant wipe because it cleans off the grime from messy hands (ever eaten something at your desk then not bothered to wash your hands before typing again?).