Keyboard Cleaning

_simon_

Fed up of struggling to clean between your keys?

Whip the screws out and take a look at how your keyboard is put together. I have found that with my Microsoft Digital Media Pro, that the whole top section was completely independent of any cables or circuitry, so I rinsed it out under the shower, allowed it to dry and then screwed it back together.

The result is that it once again looks like new and the keys seem more springy, probably because they were impacting on various debris that had built up under them since it was first used.

Supercool

if water impurities get to the carbon coated membrane, the keys will stop working.
A quick wipe on top of the keys is all you want, why worry about dirt deep down.

Treat yourself to new keyboard occasionally , they pretty cheap now a days:cool:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I have personally never tried this, but have heard sticking your keyboard in a dishwasher is just fine... You know what, I might just do that this weekend and tell you guys how it works out ;)

Yeah.......the dishwasher works, the PC shop I work at, has an old dishwasher in the back, they take off the keys and the panels, remove the membrane and toss it in.

holdenssx

Yeah.......the dishwasher works, the PC shop I work at, has an old dishwasher in the back, they take off the keys and the panels, remove the membrane and toss it in.

I've also heard of people just sticking the whole thing in there (leaving the keys on etc) and just not using soap or a dry cycle...i might give it a try

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah i did exactly what simon has done to my old Keyboard,It also come up nice and clean as the muck showed up pretty bad on it because it was a grey Hp keyboard...it was all coffee spills that had gone in between the keys and its a nightmare to clean:D

However i dont think il be taking apart my newer Advent Wireless keyboard :D

ANNR

it is totally fine to put the keyboard in water as long as you dry it before using it. Takes for ever to dry though

I have dipped my cell phone in distilled water for like hours to wash the salt out and after it drys for 3 days, the phone works just fine.

pure water is not conductive, its the impurities in the water thats conductive. As long as there is no voltage going trough the electronic when it is in the fresh water, it is just fine after it dries.

Salt partials eats the circuit the electronics after a wile so fresh water is very important.

A little off topic I just though it is amazing how my cellphone is still working.

You can try this if your phone fell into salt water but do it on your own risk. If you do decide to do this just make sure it dries properly before putting the battery.

of course if your phone is dead then even dipping it in gold will not help. just make sure you take out the battery as fast as possible when your phone fells into the water. forget about turning it off, just pop the battery out.

PohTayToez

Not with the G15...

It would ruin the LCD screen and everything powering it...

Why's that? You should be able to dunk it in water just fine... water does nothing to electronics unless it is allowed to rust,and as long as there is no current flowing through at the time.

Burgerbob

As long as you arent a tard, and dont leave the batteries in or leave it plugged in or something, it is fine. Actually, i usually just flip my keyboard upside down and beat the snot out it to get all the crap out. Problem is, its a family keyboard and so IT GETS DIRTY SO FAST. You guys are soo lucky with your personal computers!

g4m3rof1337

As long as you arent a tard, and dont leave the batteries in or leave it plugged in or something, it is fine. Actually, i usually just flip my keyboard upside down and beat the snot out it to get all the crap out. Problem is, its a family keyboard and so IT GETS DIRTY SO FAST. You guys are soo lucky with your personal computers!

You punch your keyboard......

Why's that? You should be able to dunk it in water just fine... water does nothing to electronics unless it is allowed to rust,and as long as there is no current flowing through at the time.

Compressed air works just fine.

g4m3rof1337

Not saying that I am perfect, but my G15 hasn't had any spills, yet.

But my other wireless keyboard got koolaid in it. So I took the face plate off, washed it, tidied the rubber key parts, and it works fine.

I am even thinking of making or buying a keyboard protector.

PohTayToez

Compressed air works just fine.

Never said it doesn't, but after years of you'd need a little more than compressed air, and you stated bluntly that water would ruin the LCD, which, to my knowledge has no factual backing.

Not that I'm saying go throw your G15 in a bathtub... just that, theoretically, it should be fine, as long as it got COMPLETELY dry before you plugged it back in.

_simon_

Just to clarify, the part I washed in the shower was 100% plastic, no membrane or anything and took about an hour to dry thoroughly in a sunny window.

Supercool, why spend money on a new keyboard when a quick wash will leave it as new?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
OK guys, just stuck one of my old keyboards in the dish washer. No soap or anything, just a the full cycle, air-dry. I didn't really want to do this with my Tandy keyboard; though it needed it, I wasn't too sure how it worked inside and if it would mess something up... So I'm using my old eMachines keyboard. Worst case, I'll go by wally world and get another ;)

-----

Progress report ;)
KB_wash.jpg

Just about to start the wash

KB_Drying.jpg

Drying in the sun. Sorry... Pictures don't turn out too well 3 stories up though a screen :p

The "0" key was pulled before I started washing because it was stuck or something last time I used the keyboard... The backspace key had some junk around it after the wash, so I just pulled it off to help clean it. No keys fell off during the wash.

Last edited: