Keyboard - Function Key Commands

Low Tech

Guys,

Just bought a new keyboard - Microsoft Wireless Multimedia 1.1
Was wondering if there was a way to change the commands the Function Keys (F1,F2,F3 etc.)have, as i have little need to have a shortcut to things like the help centre, whereas a shortcut to my D drive would be more beneficial.

I can change the commands of the shortucts already set up along the top of my keyboard (My Docs, Pics, Music etc.) easily but cant find a way to change the F keys to my own preferences.

Anyone know how?

magicman

VIP Member
There is a way you can do it. Basically, any shortcut icon on your desktop can have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it. To create a shortcut to your D drive, go to My Computer, right click on the D drive and click Create Shortcut. It may prompt you to put it on the desktop, click yes. Then right click on the created desktop shortcut and click Properties. Click once where it says "None" beside shortcut key to get a blinking cursor, then press whatever Function key you wish to assign to it. Click OK. Now whenever you press that Function key it should act as if you were double clicking on the shortcut.

In my experience it only works correctly if you leave the shortcut where it is, although you can check the "Hidden" box under the General tab in Properties to hide the shortcut from view.

Low Tech

Thanks alot for that, it works great!

Only one problem. When i select the option "Hidden", the desktop still shows the icons, although they are translucent. It may only be a small thing, but it is a bit annoying as i have very little on my desktop except for game shortcuts.

How do i change this?

magicman

VIP Member
You may need to right click on the desktop and click "Refresh", for the system to pick up that you've made a shortcut hidden. Otherwise, it may be your system is set up to display hidden icons (although this isn't the case by default). If so, enter any folder you like, click Tools > Folder Options, click the "View" tab and ensure the radio button that says "Do not show hidden files and folders" is selected. Incidentally, clicking the other option is the way to retreive or amend the shortcuts at a later time.