Keyboard Weird, Weird Problems

beatmaster

Ok, i have recently been getting so VERY strange problems with my keyboard, hope someone can help! i have search high and low to find anything like this, but no joy!

Here goes:

1. my keyboard randomly enables Caps Lock

2. when i press caps lock, it acts as if its the Enter key

3. my numpad 6 key does the following : #6 (yes, that hash comes up with the 6)

4. my hash key does the following : #6 (yes, that 6 comes up with the #)

This problem seriously bugs me! Its not a problem i have ever read about!

Please can some one help i am seriously depressed now :mad:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It could have several causes:
- sofware key remapping (a virus?)
- keyboard failure
- faulty interface on the motherboard

So, first of all run a virus check, then try what happens if you plug in another keyboard.

beatmaster

Hmm, i sceduale a virus scan every morning, and it has found nothing. I hope it is not a motherboard problem, the board is only around 6 months old!

All i can think is maybe a keyboard failure as you say...

I have no other keyboard to test it with, so i will have to borrow one from somewhere and hopefully it will be ok!

beatmaster

Hey thanks! I think the idea of my keyboard leaving scared it into working properly! Its working again now no trouble, got my # and my 6 working, just waiting to see if i get any random caps locks!

Thanks for your help

Grimulus

Hey Lorand...maybe you can come over here and breath on my computer and it will run 300mhz faster and the temp will stay the same...that would be sweet. :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
lol, it seems that I have a good kharma... :D
It's strange, but at the office when a computer or a printer won't work sometimes it's enough just if I look at it and it runs again. Have I got a scary look? :eek:

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Probably because I was offline for too long... :D
You should test that keyboard on another computer. But if the wierdness appears intermittently then it needs a lot of testing. Try swaping your keyboard with a friend's for couple of days.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
COuld it be something like a loose connection?
I don't think so... Most probably the keyboard's electronics or the motherboard's keyboard interface got messed up.
If the problem appears most often after using the computer a couple of hours then I bet on the motherboard.

beatmaster

i was thinking it could be a lose connection, i havent rebooted for like a week so ill do that now and try unplugging it then replugging it!

Ill let you know! Wish me luck

beatmaster

Ok, i have shutdown and checked the connection, no problems there.

Booted back up, but the problem persists.

If i turn off NUMLOCK, the # key is normal, but the numpad 6 key appears as a #
If i turn on NUMLOCK, the # key puts the 6 after it, as does the numpad 6 key.

This is some freaky stuff, surely a fault in the motherboard couldnt cause this?

I am going to try booting up in safemode or command prompt and see what happens

beatmaster

Ok update on the random keyboard story. The ps 2 keyboard carried on giving me random problems, so now i have put on a USB keyboard working nicely. Im hoping its just a fault with the keyboard and not the PS2 interface...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You should test that keyboard on another computer.
I hope that the keyboard is faulty :)