kick him out

wax

hi, I have DLink DI-514 router and broadband internet. I set "MAC FILTER" in my router, only mac addresses I set can access the internet. However, I found my roommate who uses linux still access my router even though his mac is not on my permission list in my router. By the way, I test my router's filter function by using my clie ux50. That mac address is not on my permission list. I found that I can't use my clie to surf the internet until I add its mac address on the list. In other words, the router works.

I use Airsnare software that detects one mac address access my network every day, but every time a mac address is different. I'm sure it must be my roommate doing some tricks because he don't want to pay his share of the internet.

I was wondering how can I kick him out or block him from my network.Airsnare can just detect but can't block anyone.
please help.

4W4K3

VIP Member
kick the crap out of your roommate and break his wireless card... :p

that's about all the advice i can give for wireless security, i'm not wireless savvy:( usually the MAC addy filter works, it does for my dad.

but be patient and you will find your answer, i know people on here have the answer for you. actually search archives for your problem, i bet it's been asked before maybe.

magicman

VIP Member
Strange, I thought the mac adress was constant for a piece of hardware, oh well. Have you tried reducing the number of computers that can be connected at one time down to one? That's the only thing I can think of.

No wait, just had a brain wave. Set a WEP encryption.

4W4K3

VIP Member
is there an option to username and verify password before you connect? that might seem trivial, but with encryption your Linux buddy might just give up?

Scrat

Yeah... have you set any password for the connection i.e. WEP or WPA? Try setting one on the router and your PC.... i'm also guessing you have DHCP disabled??

M0ddingMan1a

tie him up to his bed, then get a butcher knife out, and i think u can take it from there. if not, then take a bat, and tell him to go on and use his comp. then just when he opens it yada yada yada, take out ur bat and smash the shit outta it.

the password protection thingy isnt such a bad idea either. lol

randruff

Simple solution....Change the SSID, Disable the broadcast of the SSID, change the password to access the router, assign your computer a DHCP addy, allow only that addy to connect. No more bandwidth theif.

apj101

VIP Member
sounds like your house mate may know his stuff, so if he really want to he will be able to get past every security measure listed hear. Except the one were you kick the crap out of him. You could turn off wireless conection were your not using it, that may at least bug him a bit.

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
elmarcorulz said:
or change to wired, but keep the wires hidden and keep the wireless plugged in, just turn it off.
That's not a bad idea...although if he is clever, eventually he will figure it out:D

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Bobo said:
That's not a bad idea...although if he is clever, eventually he will figure it out:D
but itll be funny watching him try and figure it out, plus then you will be able tot ell if hes on the network

Zeus2005

He is changing his MAC address?? wierd!, Im 99% sure that when the product is made its given its own unique MAC address that cannot be changed!

wax

thanks guys...
first, I can't disable wireless function in my router because my landlord uses wireless to connect my router; he pays for it. Second, I can't change wire because my landlord lives first floor and I live second floor. That means I have to use wireless.

Thank you

flame1117

banned
everytime you leave, take your router with you haha. Just tell the guy, I want to make sure no one breaks in and steals it or something haha. or "acidently" drop a brick on your roomates PC.

apj101

VIP Member
He is changing his MAC address?? wierd!, Im 99% sure that when the product is made its given its own unique MAC address that cannot be changed!

I think you can get software to mask your MAC addy

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can clone a MAC address as well http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm for windows, for Linux (and most *nix system) it's stupidly easy:
ifconfig eth0 down hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ifconfig eth0 up

to lock him out while still having the wireless function of your router enabled look for Wi-Fi Protected Access (it should be a simple software upgrade for your router)

Last edited:

Classic_house

Use wep 128 minimum but remember to change the key every 2 or 3 days as there are many programs that can easily snoop the key!