Lag Spikes

skidude

Ever since I re-installed my Wireless PCI card, whenever I play games online I will randomly get a lag spike, like in CSS, or like in BF2 it will say there "is a problem with your connection" for a split second then it goes away. This never happened before and my PC is still the same distance away from my router. I have a "Good" signal and get 54.0 mbps.... is there any way to fix it so its back to normal?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmm

Try upgrading the firmware of the router. I had a simmilar problem like you and that fixed it. Try changing the channel at which it operates. It could be interference.

JAN :D

skidude

As in a firewall?? No, because when I had one up it slowed my connection down immensley and I had a ping of like 300 in CSS. Besides, I live in the middle of nowhere and I dont think anyone would be listening in on our connection.

Jan- How would I change the channel at which it operates?

skidude

Thats what I was talking about, just couldnt think of the right word for it. No I dont have one.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
skidude said:
Jan- How would I change the channel at which it operates?

Hey, well could you tell us the exact model of the wireless router? It has a control panel through which you can change the channel that it operates in. I believe that there are eleven available channels for 2.4Ghz that you to use.

JAN :D

Geoff

VIP Member
With my router, i go to internet explorer and type in: 192.168.2.1, to find out what yours is, find your LAN IP (double click on the LAN icon on the taskbar, click support) and where it says your IP, replace the last number with a 1. This should work, then browse through the setup menu until you come to the wireless page, then change the channel.

You can also try restarting the router, since sometimes that clears things up.

Geoff

VIP Member
skidude said:
Yeah I do.

My router is a Netgear WGR614 802.11 G router.
That could be a problem, i remember before we had static during phone calls, and the internet would drop out ocassionally. Thats why we upgraded to 5.8Ghz cordless phones.

skidude

Lol when I call someone near my PC my cordless phone gets static in it... that might be why. O yeah, when I did the thing you said about entering you IP but with a 1 at the end, it asks me for a username and password?!?!? :confused:

skidude

Ok, I finally fixed it. It was an issue with windows, I disabled the Wireless Zero Configurator and that has solved my problem. :D