Lag time for browser to call up a page

ssal

This seems just happened in the last few days. When I enter a new URL to call up a website, it takes a long time (5-8 seconds) for the page to come up. Once the page is loaded, clicking inside the loaded page would call up other link normally.

I wonder what's causing the initial lag? Is it a virus? But it doesn't seem to affect subsequent links.

beers

Staff member
If you do ipconfig /all you should be able to see what DNS server you're leveraging. It may also forward to the router and then out to an ISP or similar, but as per @johnb35 that's common behavior when you have multiple DNS servers defined, and the first one you're trying to use doesn't respond. The system will try the secondary nameserver after a few seconds and you'd generally see 'normal' behavior for records that finally resolve, after you spent those 'lag time' seconds waiting for the retry, in that example.

You could manually set it to 1.1.1.1 or similar on the host to verify specifically.

ssal

Try doing a speedtest and check latency time. Also might be a dns issue? @beers
I got Ping: 14ms / Download: 61 Mbps / Upload: 37 Mbps.
Switched to another test site server and the ping time improve to 10, other the same.
I don't seem to have a problem with my laptop which is wireless (Wifi). My desktop is connected directly to the router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then it seems its an issue with the desktop only. What browser are you using? I would try a different one and see if a browser addon that could have possibly been installed.

ssal

Then it seems its an issue with the desktop only. What browser are you using? I would try a different one and see if a browser addon that could have possibly been installed.
I am using Firefox as the default browser.

Tried it on Chrome, it's a little bit better.

Edge seems to give the best performance.

I started fixfox in safe mode and it only improved a little bit. Still pretty slow get on a new URL.

Last edited:

ssal

If you do ipconfig /all you should be able to see what DNS server you're leveraging. It may also forward to the router and then out to an ISP or similar, but as per @johnb35 that's common behavior when you have multiple DNS servers defined, and the first one you're trying to use doesn't respond. The system will try the secondary nameserver after a few seconds and you'd generally see 'normal' behavior for records that finally resolve, after you spent those 'lag time' seconds waiting for the retry, in that example.

You could manually set it to 1.1.1.1 or similar on the host to verify specifically.

Do I have to purchase the software to set it to 1.1.1.1?

ssal

I restored from a previous version from my image backup. Now the Ethernet connection is not working. I checked device manager and the Realtek PCLe adapter is enabled and said the device is working properly. The icon on the lower right of the screen for the ethernet said "Unidentified network no internet access".

How do I restore my Ethernet?

Thanks.

Darren

Staff member
I restored from a previous version from my image backup. Now the Ethernet connection is not working. I checked device manager and the Realtek PCLe adapter is enabled and said the device is working properly. The icon on the lower right of the screen for the ethernet said "Unidentified network no internet access".

How do I restore my Ethernet?

Thanks.
Did you manually change any of your IP settings? If so I'd just return them to default to start, to at least make sure it's working.

Do I have to purchase the software to set it to 1.1.1.1?
No, I use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 for mine.

ssal

Did you manually change any of your IP settings? If so I'd just return them to default to start, to at least make sure it's working.

No, I use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 for mine.
Right now my biggest problem is that the computer doesn't have internet connection (I can use the wifi) because it doesn't identify the network.

Can some one help please?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try resetting your modem and router, maybe try a different ethernet cable as well. Can you try a different port on the router?

ssal

I reset the modem and router. Now the computer is connected and the latency seems to have improved.
Maybe the who problem was the router connection.

Maybe it's time for a new router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What router do you have? If it happens again, you'll have to look into the issue but I wouldn't replace it just yet.

ssal

Which router? If it’s a low end one it’s entirely possible that the dns forwarding daemon simply crashed after a period of time.
It is a Sagemcon 5260CV supplied by my the provider. I can have it exchanged for a new (refurbished) one for free. Or should I get one myself?
If so, any recommendation?

I have the following devices:

2 iPhone
Laptop (WiFi)
Desktop (wired)
1 Smart TV

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look into getting like an ac 1750 model from Asus. What modem do you currently have? You reallt don't have that fast of Internet and it may be the modem is slow. The Motorola mg7550 modem/router is compatible with your service up to 300mbps. Other than that you would have to get a modem and then a router. The mb8600 would work along with an asus router.

Darren

Staff member
If you're having multiple problems, might be worth swapping it out with a new one from your ISP, but I wouldn't mess with it unless you can actually pinpoint it as being the cause of an issue.

If you can, a weekly scheduled reboot when you're not using it isn't a bad idea. Many have that feature any more.

The cost of the router is built into your monthly subscription, so I'd try to strongarm your ISP to get you a new one (if it's faulty) before buying my own. Others might disagree, but unless you're an enthusiast, the one they provide is usually fine. I use the ISP provided one.

beers

Staff member
I can have it exchanged for a new (refurbished) one for free. Or should I get one myself?
Do you have this issue frequently? I'd keep an eye on it in the interim and observe how it behaves over time before hassling with it. You can also verify aspects of this behavior if it happens again such as 'nslookup google.com 192.168.1.1'

Others might disagree, but unless you're an enthusiast, the one they provide is usually fine. I use the ISP provided one.
I feel like I could say many things but would ultimately not classify in the typical use case :p

At a certain point, the easiest solution is the best solution when working with your average consumer.

Last edited: