[LAN] - How to share a map with only 1 or 2 other pc's?

Snowwie

I have the following situation:

- Main PC
- Home Server PC (for media files and backup purpose)
- HTPC PC (in the living room)
- Synology NAS
- 2nd PC (for just in case)
- 3th PC for backup files

I want to share the files on the Home Server PC for just ONLY my own (main) PC and the HTPC (read only). If I click on a map on the Home Server PC and click on Share then it's not entirely clear to me how to share with only my main pc. The only workaround is that I share the stuff with "Everyone", and in Network Settings I turn off password required. The thing is, I just to be able to click a direct link from my main pc to a specific shared map on the Home Server (for example the Backup map), without filling in a password. If I want to share a map it gives me the option off:
- HomeServer PC (that's the same pc, so not needed)
- Everyone
- Create a new user
The last option brings me to "user accounts", but this is not what I want. I don't want to create another user on the homeserver, I just want to share the map with only one pc, my own main pc, so no others can access that map, because it is set to "everyone". In theory if somebody is funny and has access to my computer, and luckily I don't have a family in this case, then your kid (in theory) could just delete everything, because "I" want to have access to this map to do everything. Copy files to it, delete them etc. Can somebody explain me, in steps, how I share one map on a Windows 10 machine to another Windows 10 machine. My main pc has the 'name', also "Snowwie", being an administrator.

Darren

Staff member
You're going to need to use users in some capacity I think, unless your NAS software lets you set share/export policies at the IP level.

I'd just set up a user for each machine, set permissions accordingly, and leave it so the session never expires. I think my NAS is authenticating with a user but it's honestly been so long since I've been prompted I'm not sure.

Snowwie

This is not NAS related, this is only sharing files and having access between Windows 10 computers.

The synology NAS listed there is actually not relevant.

beers

Staff member
This is not NAS related, this is only sharing files and having access between Windows 10 computers.

The synology NAS listed there is actually not relevant.
He was giving you solutions that you could leverage with the NAS. If you had an isolated user share, just use that for the two systems you're referring to and you can serve it out of the NAS, and the other ones wouldn't be able to access it as you wouldn't have added the credentials.

You could do something similar with local user shares and permissions on the media server,
The last option brings me to "user accounts", but this is not what I want. I don't want to create another user on the homeserver, I just want to share the map with only one pc, my own main pc, so no others can access that map, because it is set to "everyone".
You'll ideally have to redesign your permissions. You have everything on the same subnet, you might be able to disallow access via Windows Firewall for specific hosts, but it rapidly becomes more of a pain in the ass than just doing it correctly.

Snowwie

Come on you guys, this should be more easier. My Main PC has a 'name', is it really NOT possible on my HomeServer to JUST allow my Main PC access and others not? How difficult can this be? I am talking about pc's and Window's shares and you are talking about the NAS.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Create a user with the same name and password on both the server and PC you want to access the server. Then share out the folder, remove the Everyone provision, and add that user. You'll then be able to connect to that share without needing to enter any user creds as long as you're signed in as that user on the HTPC/your PC.

I've never used Windows Home Server but I don't doubt that it is very stripped down and complete garbage.

Darren

Staff member
Come on you guys, this should be more easier. My Main PC has a 'name', is it really NOT possible on my HomeServer to JUST allow my Main PC access and others not? How difficult can this be? I am talking about pc's and Window's shares and you are talking about the NAS.
Lol sorry for trying to help.

Good luck.

beers

Staff member
It's already easy, you're just trying to make it difficult by ignoring the obvious solution.