LAN transport case for computers?

master R James

I've read a few threads about transporting PCs to LAN parties/tournaments, since I face the same issue. All I could find though - everywhere online - is either a "carrying-strap" or a luggage case. In my opinion this is ridiculous. Why can't gamers have a nice hard-body case with wheels and of a fair size to transport their systems and peripherals.
Also, what about a laptop bag with enough space for all your accessories, headset included, without looking weird and lopsided?? (Like the Everki Titan trolley)
Is this a problem you also face? Have you found any good solutions, and what are they?
P.S: I've asked Johnathan (Fatal1ty) Wendel and he agrees that this is a problem, and would like to see a product for it. He is keen on the laptop bag, because as he says: "Many gamers are going mobile nowadays."

All input valued!!! Thank you.

beers

Staff member
Correct forum, but likely low interest or applicable experience.

If you wanted to yolo swag it, build your chassis in a 4u rackmount enclosure and get some of those hardened audio transport cases like Pelican or similar, but it would be super expensive. That's really the only way to guarantee the form factor fits the existing shell, otherwise you'll have to engineer your own product to either be flexible for multiple cases or make it case specific:
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/rack-mount-cases/

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't see a case with wheels (similar to luggage) working, since the vibrations of going over rough surfaces would likely damage a mechanical hard drive and/or cause components to become disconnected or loose.

beers

Staff member
That's why we advocate solid state everything :D

I think he was just looking more for transport while the PC was off, although if you were super hardcore you could lug some ups in there and have a portable system lol

master R James

First off, so sorry for being this late to reply, but... uhm... Yeah, no valid excuse except didn't get to it.:oops:
I don't see a case with wheels (similar to luggage) working, since the vibrations of going over rough surfaces would likely damage a mechanical hard drive and/or cause components to become disconnected or loose.
Definitely for when the PC is not running... But, yes, I see the problem that vibration would cause. Thing is though, other case manufacturers - like Pelican cases - already use vibration isolators on their purpose-build electronics cases. The electronic components are protected during transit so that nothing gets damaged. (See the link that beers attached in his first reply)
I already considered to use the same technology for the transport case I have in mind.

Beers, I love your style man!!

So, in conclusion, neither of you see this as being a money-making-business-idea?

master R James

And what about the laptop bag? Are there legit bags out there that offer solid protection to your laptop, as well as space for accessories (like headset, keyboard, mouse, cables, etc.)? Because, going to LANs and such, there are always a**h**** who bump/kick/assault your bag!!!:(:eek: [Okay, maybe not that harsh, but still...]
Any thoughts on this? Would you like to have enough space for everything LANs, but still be able to loose the bulk and have a simple messenger bag for day-to-day use?

Thanks for your comments guys;).
[I used too many emojis...]