Laptop advice please

Glyn

Hi all,

Just need some advice on what laptop (mobile workstation) to get to use for CAD, photos, music, documents (word and excel) and internet browsing.

From my recent research I'm thinking along the lines of the following min specs:

Intel i7 Quad core
8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
256 SSD
15"display (1080)
$3000-$4000

Possible models I've looked at are:

HP ZBook 15 G3
Lenovo ThinkPad P50
Dell Precision 15 5000

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Youve set quite a high bar for a laptop, but i think the Dell will suit you best. Ive never owned an i7 laptop so i cant speak from experiance, but i can tell you an i5 dual core is enough for your needs (though if im honest, the bare minimum). Brand wise Lenovo will serve you best, though i would stay way from ThinkPad's, they are a bit out dated even the newer ones.

Glyn

Youve set quite a high bar for a laptop, but i think the Dell will suit you best. Ive never owned an i7 laptop so i cant speak from experiance, but i can tell you an i5 dual core is enough for your needs (though if im honest, the bare minimum). Brand wise Lenovo will serve you best, though i would stay way from ThinkPad's, they are a bit out dated even the newer ones.[/QUOTE

Thanks very much for your info. Will take all that onboard. I guess I've set a few high demands due to the fact I really need the CAD to function properly. Apart from that I would be inclined to drop the bar down a bit.

i did CAD stuff on an i5, like i said it works just fine, just the bare minimum. Ill agree 4 cores is a good idea, and lenovo will serve you well

Id go lenovo, honestly just buy the cheapest one that fits your specs off amazon. Theyve got gaurentees up the you-know-what, ive never had issues buying everything from computer parts to screws. Always what i wanted in the condition i ordered it in. I would get a better lenovo than the think-pad you were talking about, ive used them and didnt care for them, good hardware but poor battery life and cheap case. Without a doubt buy a lenovo something though.