laptop and ati mobility x2600 graphics

nemix

im about to purchase a laptop with this card in it. Says it has 256 mb of dedicated memory but i know the speed of the card has more to do than just the memory on it....here's the specs on the computer. Going to use it for video DJ'ing so graphics will be important. What do you think?

www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=KU647AW

i will be paying 750 for this laptop. Any other recomendations for a laptop with similar specs at a similar price point would be great.

azwebs

From what I can find out, the x2600 is a bit more powerful than the 8600gt for laptops (I'm much more used to nVidia). As long as you're not planning on anything using high definition or large resolutions it should be fine, but if you want better quality, maybe look for something better.

Also, ask around a bit. I'd never heard of this card before now so I may be wrong.

nemix

I can't find much on it either, I've found other builds from this laptop that have the ati hd 2600 which I can find info on. Not sure if they're the same card...Specs on this laptop look great I just need to know if the card is any good before I invest so any help would be great :rolleyes:

fatal1ty

The hd2600 is an integrated card and will be worse than any dedicated card, whether it is an x2600 or not. The only ati card i have experience with is the hd2400 pro (desktop card) and i found it slow and painful to use.

I did find something in two HP laptops on www.notebookcheck.net and it seems that it is about average graphics performance, so it might be good for what you want, depending on how powerful your needs are.

nemix

quoted from the note book check site

"If you demand high 3D performance you should rather choose a notebook of the 8510p/w series. Although otherwise identical, these are equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon X2600 or a NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M or an ATI Mobility FireGL V5600 video chip. With these video cards also CAD and the one or other game should not be a problem. "

This ones talking about the 8510p the "little brother" of the 8510w where this quote was found.

"Who wants to play 3D games should buy another notebook, like the cheaper HP Compaq 8510p. That is its little twin brother and is equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon X2600, which is optimised on gaming and offers more power while playing."

User reviews of the laptop at:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3994
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3939

From other things I read, some state the laptop has the radeon mobility hd 2600 and some say it has the x2600. Anyone know how I can just look it up in the computer when I take a look and see what it is and how much ram it has?