Laptop boot problem

Paul Gr

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L-350.
I was given this laptop without a hard disk drive but with a 2 gig memory stick.
I had a hard disk drive which I put into it, and it must have had Windows on it because the laptop tried to read the disk drive but reported problems, no real surprise there.
I had the idea of installing Linux on it, and put a Linux CD in it, but it wouldn't read it (I changed the bios settings to read the DVD drive first.)
I even tried a diagnostic disk in it, but it still wouldn't read it.
I get a more or less continuous bleep when it hits a problem.
One thing I haven't tried is to put a USB with Linux on it, and see if it reads this.
I thought that the memory could be the problem, but I took it out and tried to start it without any memory, still no good.
Any tips appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That laptop is about 13 years old and not even worth fixing. A computer won't even boot without memory in it.

Paul Gr

That laptop is about 13 years old and not even worth fixing. A computer won't even boot without memory in it.
Ok thanks, maybe I'll put it on Ebay for spares or repairs, I see that some sellers are asking about $5 for a cover for the memory compartment.

beers

Staff member
How'd you create the boot CD, and which one? If you burned it as GPT/UEFI or something then it's not going to boot and you'd need MBR/BIOS instead.

Some laptops are old enough where they won't boot via USB, I have a Gateway from 2006 which is like that. You can always install Linux to a disk on another computer and then move it over to the laptop post-installation.

Paul Gr

How'd you create the boot CD, and which one? If you burned it as GPT/UEFI or something then it's not going to boot and you'd need MBR/BIOS instead.

Some laptops are old enough where they won't boot via USB, I have a Gateway from 2006 which is like that. You can always install Linux to a disk on another computer and then move it over to the laptop post-installation.
Thanks for replying. The boot disk is the Hirens one, maybe version 15 or 15 point something, can't remember. Hirens should cover every possibility, I would have thought. On second thoughts there are other programs like it on the freeware sites, maybe I should try one of them. It is possible to boot from a USB stick, I've looked at the BIOS setup and it's an option. Just to clarify, this as far as I've got: it boots up and tries to start Windows, then when it fails, it tries to repair Windows, then fails at that. I'm not bothered about Windows, I would rather use Linux anyway. I tried to install Linux, using a bootable CD, but it wouldn't even read it.