Laptop boots up properly but freezes when trying to open programs

Andy_St88

Hi all,

A few days before the problem got worse my Toshiba laptop running W7 started to freeze if I opened too many Chrome tabs. I would be running MS Encoder, have a few browsers open and be watching youtube where I would open 10-15 tabs to go through at once. It would hang so I powered off and started again. 2 days after after I booted up the desktop came up and everything was okay until I tried to open Chrome for example, it wouldnt open though the cursor would still move over items and you could click them but nothing would open, the Start button worked but again, nothing opened. Then it would just hang. I powered off and tried again a few times. I could open a folder, a picture, even Excel, but try any other program and it wouldnt open. I did a basic cmd.exe disk check which didnt show any problems bad sectors files or anything similar.

Some basic searches later, I tried the Properties - Tools - Error check option and so far 26 hours later it is still running this disk check up to stage 4 of 5 and about half way through all the files. Now that its started I cant stop it should something worse happen, so its a slow wait until it eventually finishes.

I thought it was maybe a memory problem or a corrupted file stopping applications from opening but of course I dont know which is why I am here. Can anyone shed any light please.

Thx in advance

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know what brand of hard drive it is using? If its still using the original hard drive, its probably failing. I would stop it and immediately attach the drive to another system and backup any data you need before the drive totally fails.

Andy_St88

Thanks, I get the feeling that is whats going on. The checkdisk seems to have progressed a lot more. Right now I am concerned about getting the important data off. I hate to say this, but I have no idea how to remove the original HDD which I think is a Toshiba (original yes) I havent even been able to open the case to clean the fan. Let alone connect it up to another system. I am thinking I will have to take it a large store with repair dept for a technician to complete that.

This whole thing is making me ill.... I have always been able to fix small difficulties but this looks like a major one and one I cant fix on my own. Cheers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The hard drive should be under an access door on the bottom of the laptop. On the newer laptops you basically have to take the whole back cover off or on some models you have to literally take the whole damn thing apart to get to the hard drive.