Laptop Brands

jjohnston

I am looking at a laptop, I want the most bang for my buck. I have looked at Dell and HP and both look good. Then I saw Emachiens... I have heard these aren't very good with stability or speed. I was wondering if this is true? When looking at specs they seem the same as the Dell, but people I have talked to say stay away from Emachiens. What do all of you think?

Grimulus

Well first of all, "Bang for you buck" in the computer world often times results in a crap machine. I'm not a dell fan at all but i must say they make a solid laptop. I am very partial to compaq laptops. They are very good about keeping their warranty true and will give you a quick return on a problem.(I know this for a fact. I had a HDD die, common in laptops from what I hear.) The R3000Z (think that's the rigth model) looks like an outstanding piece of machinery. You can spend about 400-600 bucks on it and make it really top of the line for a laptop. So you are looking at rougly 1100-1300 dollars. I would upgrade the video card and the processor and I think anyone would be set.
Toshibas are great laptops as well.
Voodoo would be my choice, those are pricey though. Great gaming machine with great battery life. Also they just look cool.
Alienware laptops are crap. A friend of mine bought a 2.8ghz intel and got sent a 2.4ghz! He also noticed it was painfully hot and so he sent it back and had a HUGE amount of problems with the return and after a month he still didn't have a comp! So he got to talk to a head offical at alienware and he told him to buy a dell or something because their laptops had a big problem with overheating!
Hp makes good laptops, but not quite as good as compaq IMO. Wierd how they are basically the same company but Compaqs are definitely differnt.

Grim-The light at the end of my tunnel is an oncoming train.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Voodoo would be my choice, those are pricey though. Great gaming machine with great battery life. Also they just look cool.
And if you're a local u can just come pick it up :)

Alienware laptops are crap. A friend of mine bought a 2.8ghz intel and got sent a 2.4ghz! He also noticed it was painfully hot and so he sent it back and had a HUGE amount of problems with the return and after a month he still didn't have a comp!
Once case isnt enought o slam a company with a stellar track record. I've bought two of them myself and havnt had a problem.

Also have a look at Acer :)

Grimulus

Well man, when one of the head dudes from Alienware tells you a dell is a better option, you know they have a problem. :p
I wasn't saying that one case means they suck, i was just building the story to make the point. GEEEZZZZEEE!!! :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well man, when one of the head dudes from Alienware tells you a dell is a better option, you know they have a problem.
Heard the same thing about Intel, AMD, Apple, ATi and NVidia .... so what now? :p

Shadowz

What about the ibm notebooks there kinda expensive but they got laptops that they weighs like 2 pounds

Grimulus

yeah man...ibm's are good reliable laptops.

the really light ones have ass processors but the T series ones are pretty godly.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
IBM does a very good job of hitting a very wide spectrum for their notebooks from ultra portables to their desktop replacements. My only concern with them (and I have a laptop, T-series) is that they may not have adquate measures in place to allow for cooling the chip down which results in an extremely noticeable drop in performance as it heats up (not to mention its a serious pain in the arse to get to the CPU and/or harddrive :p). Cheers :)

vinnybarbarino

Praetor said:
Got a link for that..... just what ive been looking for :)

no link really - but i stayed at the holiday inn last night . :D

well a lot of ppl at the notebookforums are really helpful and you might be able to get a link .