Laptop CPU fan motor

hirobo2

Need a new laptop fan but can't find new replacement, only used ones. Next idea, re-use fan chassis with new motor from another model. Is this feasible?

fan-repair.jpg

Are laptop fan motors like the above held to the fan's frame by a screw underneath, or glue?

hirobo2

Just buy a whole heatsink/fan assembly for the laptop.

Didn't you read the post? I'd love to, but I can only find used one not new. Seems like swapping out the motor is the only feasible option left. Problem is I don't know how easily removable those motors are from the fan's frame, hence my asking here...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What make and model of laptop do you have? Do you have a part number for the whole assembly?

hirobo2

%2524_57c.JPG

This is the exact one I have. You can see the model number on the sticker. Anyways, if I buy a used one, it's just gonna break soon, which is why I want to buy a different model fan to use its motor for a swap...

Btw, if worse comes to worse, I'll just graft a new motor with bits of the frame stuck to it onto the old frame seeing how the old frame has a bit of indentation where the three "beams" of the motor sits..

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
In all my years of working on computers, I still don't understand why people want to waste time doing shit like this.

They're dirt cheap and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap out. Just buy another one.

hirobo2

In all my years of working on computers, I still don't understand why people want to waste time doing shit like this.

They're dirt cheap and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap out. Just buy another one.

Lol. That's just rude man. I clearly stated more than once, they don't sell those fans *NEW* (anymore)!!

THESE THINGS HAVE A FIXED LIFESPAN YOU KNOW? JUST LIKE LAPTOP SCREENS, THEY WEAR OUT AFTER SO MANY YEARS...

And, who the hell buys a *USED* fan that will NOT last more than a couple of years?!?!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And how old is your laptop? Probably pretty old if they don't make the fans anymore but that is totally wrong since the second link I gave you are new fans. Spending 10 bucks every 2 years isn't bad.

Laquer Head

@hirobo2 You aren't doing yourself any favors asking for help here and being a dick. Your last thread about the SoDimm chips was enough, and your basically doing the same thing again. If you really don't want input on a forum, why are you here getting mad at us>?