laptop display blacks out

messiahnet

I have a Toshiba laptop model # 1005-5157. I'll be using it and then, out of the blue, the screen will go black. If I look really close and hard, I can see what is supposed to be there. But it's so dark. If I turn it off and leave it for a couple of hours and then start it back up, everything is fine. Anyone know how to fix this???

nomav6

if I was to guess I would say theres something wrong with getting power to your backlight, you may want to take this to someone that works on laptops and see if they can pen point the problem, aslo how old is this laptop, some LCD's have verry short lifes and this to could be the problem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If I look really close and hard, I can see what is supposed to be there
Is it there is it "burned in" type of dealy?

Get a new battery.....
You could just eliminate the battery as a source ofproblems by using the AC :p

I do think nomav6 is right though and the backlight's gone... have a pro lookie at it

72montecarlo

I dunno. i had similar problems with my toshiba tecra 8100 but eventually i fixed it. dont remember what i changed though..hmm. It was doing everything yours is doing and turning off as if i closed the lid when i did not. I tap the little button to signify the lid has been closed and then let go and it would come back on. it might stay on for 5 mins or an hour. it was really random.

messiahnet

72monte gets what I'm saying. It's not a battery problem I don't think. Does the same thing when plugged in AC style. The point is this: The system doesn't shut off, the display just goes extremely dark. No, this is not a "burn in" image. I can actually see what I'm clicking on and what is supposed to be on the screen. Mouse is moving, stuff is working. The display is the only problem here. Anything else??? Thanks guys.

72montecarlo

I think if i recall it may of had to do with the power options from toshiba utilities contradicting with the windows built in power saver utility. i think i may of disabled one of them and it fixed the problem.

jpw

Just had the same fault come up with my Toshiba Tecra 8100. Had noted that the fan seems not to run any more and that the underside is hotter than usual. I've got the fan module out and will see if I can find out how to test it, I assume its a DC brushless motor.