Laptop Dying?

adam3112

So I have a Compaq CQ60 Laptop (3 years old) running Windows Vista and I think it might be dying.

Sorry if this post seems long but I want to give you guys as much info as I can so that I don't get replies asking me to try things I've already done. :)

Stats are:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-72, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.3E, 23/06/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.67 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.70 GB

Up until about 3 weeks ago it has been slowing down and running at high CPU levels making general use very sluggish. I use FL Studio 10 regularly to make music and since then it has become unusable because it would lag and crash (this is when I started noticing problems). If I check the processes in Task Manager to see what is eating up all the CPU, there are no programs which are running high levels of CPU power. System idle Process using the most at around 97% average (but I've heard this is normal). Whereas FL for example would use at the most about 33% and there would be 1 or 2 Windows processes using maybe 2% and that's it. I have looked for dodgy looking services which might be causing the problem but when looking these up they are not suspicious and are not using any RAM.

I then tried using CCleaner hoping it might remove some of the crap that had built up over time. Made no difference. Scanned the computer with AVG (no results) then tried with Norton Internet Security (both with up to date Virus Definitions) and get no viruses etc found. I then did a System Restore back to about a month and it kinda made things worst where even though I was connected to my router, my browsers would not load the Google homepage or any webpage I typed in, and even though it appears to be connected to the internet on my settings, does not connect. I then took the restore point back to where I was and the internet was working again... until I boot the laptop up next time and it's now down again (like with that restore point). Now the WiFi sometimes works on a boot up and sometimes doesn't, appearing to be fully connected to my router and again with all the high CPU problems I have been experiencing.

I then thought that maybe if I stick my Vacuum cleaner up against the vents on the back of the laptop it might suck out some of the dust that builds up on the fans. Bearing in mind though I brought a Laptop Cooling Fan which sits underneath the laptop and have had this for about 6 months due to it overheating more frequently over time. I would of tried Formatting the whole thing but I don't have a disc to re install Vista and worried that if I risk buying one and lose 3 years worth of files, It might still not solve the problem.

So is there anything here I haven't mentioned which I could try to stop me forking out on a new laptop? :confused:

Please Help!!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you have AVG and Nortons installed at the same time? If so, thats a no no. That will slow your system down quicker than anything. Even though nortons and AVG didn't show anything please do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

If you continue to experience problems after doing this, please post a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HiJackThis.msi.

Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

adam3112

So you have AVG and Nortons installed at the same time? If so, thats a no no. That will slow your system down quicker than anything. Even though nortons and AVG didn't show anything please do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

If you continue to experience problems after doing this, please post a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HiJackThis.msi.

Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

Hi John thanks for your reply. I downloaded Malwarebytes, ran the scan and it detected 13 Infections which I managed to Successfully remove and things seem to be running a lot better for now, really appreciate your help! :D:good:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post the logs as I asked please? You still may have issues and like I said, you need to uninstall one of your antivirus programs as that will slow you down.

adam3112

Can you post the logs as I asked please? You still may have issues and like I said, you need to uninstall one of your antivirus programs as that will slow you down.

Hi John, No problem here's the log file from the scan

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.61.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.04.28.09

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Adam :: ADAM-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

29/04/2012 10:17:20
mbam-log-2012-04-29 (10-17-20).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 218400
Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 26
HKCR\Typelib\{B035BA6B-57CD-4F72-B545-65BE465FCAF6} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\Typelib\{D44FD6F0-9746-484E-B5C4-C66688393872} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\Interface\{0EB3F101-224A-4B2B-9E5B-DF720857529C} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\Typelib\{F244A744-534D-4A46-855F-C0C7E9F27DAA} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\Interface\{030C9927-10FC-4169-97A2-55BECD5D88D8} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{BDEA95CF-F0E6-41E0-BD3D-B00F39A4E939} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{BDEA95CF-F0E6-41E0-BD3D-B00F39A4E939} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{4B8C28A7-A9BC-45F8-990D-21499EED643C} (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{DB38E21A-0133-419D-92AD-ECDFD5244D6D} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{DB38E21A-0133-419D-92AD-ECDFD5244D6D} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{EB620C54-E229-4942-87CE-E717109FC8C6} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{EB620C54-E229-4942-87CE-E717109FC8C6} (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.HbAx (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.HbAx.1 (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.HbInfoBand (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.HbInfoBand.1 (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.IEButton (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.IEButton.1 (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.IEButtonA (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.IEButtonA.1 (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.RprtCtrl (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\ShoppingReport2.RprtCtrl.1 (Adware.ShopperReports) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\Software\ShoppingReport2 (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShoppingReport2 (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ShoppingReport2 (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\QUESTSCAN (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\QuestScan|DllPath (Adware.QuestScan) -> Data: C:\Program Files\QuestScan\questscan.dll -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 8
C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Roaming\SysWin (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ShoppingReport2 (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ShoppingReport2\Bin (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\ShoppingReport2\Bin\2.7.37 (Adware.ShoppingReport2) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096} (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\chrome (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\defaults (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\defaults\preferences (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 9
C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\setup.exe (Trojan.FakeVLC) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\02000000e49fb3451277C.manifest (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\02000000e49fb3451277O.manifest (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\02000000e49fb3451277P.manifest (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\System32\02000000e49fb3451277S.manifest (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\chrome.manifest (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\install.rdf (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\chrome\questscan.jar (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{F0E1168A-B4B5-484C-B77E-0D28E6B64096}\defaults\preferences\prefs.js (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Edit: I have also done a Scan with HijackThis and saved the Log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 18:24:24, on 30/04/2012
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\ProgramData\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ubd.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AD-AWA~1\AdAware.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe
C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/?pc=OCDY
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {b80f591e-fe9a-46cf-a13e-180377240586} - (no file)
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\ProgramData\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\IE\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SMTTB2009 - {FCBCCB87-9224-4B8D-B117-F56D924BEB18} - C:\Program Files\HyperCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HyperCam Toolbar - {338B4DFE-2E2C-4338-9E41-E176D497299E} - C:\Program Files\HyperCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Updater] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe" -check_deprecation
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Aware Antivirus] "C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware Antivirus\AdAwareLauncher" --windows-run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Aware Browsing Protection] "C:\ProgramData\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iCloudServices] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MobileDocuments] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ubd.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft Limited - C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware Antivirus\AdAwareService.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1ca2e4820680d93) (gupdate1ca2e4820680d93) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Update Service Daemon (nvUpdatusService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\daemonu.exe
O23 - Service: Sony Ericsson OMSI download service (OMSI download service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SupServ.exe
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware (SBAMSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Engine\SBAMSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Keys Server (SentinelKeysServer) - SafeNet, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Keys Server\sntlkeyssrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Protection Server (SentinelProtectionServer) - SafeNet, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 4 (TeamViewer4) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version4\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: webcamXP Service (wxpSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\wLite\wService.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 11095 bytes

I have also uninstalled Norton as it was a trial. Originally downloaded it to see if it would pick up anything as I wasn't getting any luck with AVG and again, no results on both. Please feel free to look at this and see if there's anything I've missed. I wouldn't be surprised as my computer still is a little bit slow here and there but a big improvement from before.

Appreciate your help :)

Last edited:

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
Yes, we always thank John for his expert assistance. It appears that the notebook is no longer "dying". If the issue is not resolved and the root cause is hardware related, HP may be able to assist. Our contact is [email protected].

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Adam3112,

I noticed you also have adaware antivirus installed. That needs to be uninstalled as well. I need you to do something using hijackthis. I need to see an uninstall list.

Open hijackthis, click on open misc tools section, click on open uninstall manager, click on save list and save it to your desktop. Open the file and copy and paste the contents back here. And if you already haven't done so I would recommend to download and run Ccleaner.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Click on the top right where it says download latest version and install the program. When done installing, open it and click on run cleaner. This process may take a few minutes if never done before. This will restore the speed to your system by deleting the temporary internet and system files from your system.

adam3112

Adam3112,

I noticed you also have adaware antivirus installed. That needs to be uninstalled as well. I need you to do something using hijackthis. I need to see an uninstall list.

Open hijackthis, click on open misc tools section, click on open uninstall manager, click on save list and save it to your desktop. Open the file and copy and paste the contents back here. And if you already haven't done so I would recommend to download and run Ccleaner.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Click on the top right where it says download latest version and install the program. When done installing, open it and click on run cleaner. This process may take a few minutes if never done before. This will restore the speed to your system by deleting the temporary internet and system files from your system.

Hi again,

I already had CCleaner and have scanned and cleaned everything before hand. I have uninstalled Adaware (again I downloaded this along with Norton in hope it was going to pick something up). Done what you have asked about the Unistall list.

Update for Microsoft Office 2007 (KB2508958)
Acoustica Effects Pack
Acrobat.com
Acrobat.com
Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites
ActiveCheck component for HP Active Support Library
Adobe AIR
Adobe AIR
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
Adobe Reader 9
Adobe Shockwave Player
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6
Airfoil
Any Video Converter 3.0.7
Apple Application Support
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
ASIO4ALL
Ask & Record Toolbar 4.01
Atheros Driver Installation Program
Audacity 1.3.9 (Unicode)
Avanquest update
AVG 2012
AVG 2012
AVG 2012
AviSynth 2.5
BlackBerry Device Manager 6.1
BlackBerry Device Manager 6.1
Bonjour
Broadcaster StudioPro v1.3.0
CCleaner
Cisco EAP-FAST Module
Cisco LEAP Module
Cisco PEAP Module
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
Conexant HD Audio
CyberLink DVD Suite
CyberLink DVD Suite
CyberLink YouCam
CyberLink YouCam
DDPB Installer
Digital DJ Pro 1.7.0
DivX Converter
DivX Plus DirectShow Filters
DivX Setup
Electricsheep Screensaver 2.7b18
Empire Earth
ESU for Microsoft Vista
FileHippo.com Update Checker
FL Studio 10
foobar2000 v1.0.3
Free DVD Video Burner version 2.1
Free M4a to MP3 Converter 6.1
Free YouTube to iPod Converter version 3.5
FrostWire 4.21.1
Garmin Communicator Plugin
Garmin USB Drivers
Google Earth
Google SketchUp 7
Google Update Helper
Google Updater
Groove Machine
HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
HiJackThis
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
HP Active Support Library
HP Customer Experience Enhancements
HP Doc Viewer
HP Help and Support
HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.40 H2
HP Total Care Advisor
HP Update
HP User Guides 0118
HP Wireless Assistant
HPAsset component for HP Active Support Library
HPNetworkAssistant
HPTCSSetup
HyperCam 2
HyperCam Toolbar
IL Download Manager
IL DrumSynth Live
IL Harmor
IL Shared Libraries
Inkscape 0.47
iTunes
Java(TM) 6 Update 31
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
LAME v3.98.2 for Audacity
LightScribe System Software 1.14.17.1
Macromedia Flash MX
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400
Messenger Plus! Live
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656353)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2656370)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB979906)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft Choice Guard
Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Proofing Tools 2007 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - KB2467174 - x86 9.0.30729.5570
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Works
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.13)
MSVCRT
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688)
Music Rescue
Native Instruments Massive
Native Instruments Service Center
NaturalMotion endorphin 2.7.1
NetWaiting
Nikon File Uploader 2
Nikon Message Center 2
Norton Internet Security
Norton Security Scan
NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver
NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver 270.61
NVIDIA Drivers
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 270.61
NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.2.22.1
NVIDIA PhysX
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.10.0514
NVIDIA Update 1.1.34
OGA Notifier 2.0.0048.0
Pad Maker v1.0
Paint.NET v3.5.6
Picasa 3
Picture Control Utility
PVSonyDll
Quick Screen Capture 3.0
QuickTime
RealNetworks - Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Runtime
RealPlayer
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader
RealUpgrade 1.1
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB2657424)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2446708)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2478663)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2518870)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2539636)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2572078)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2633870)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2656351)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2656368)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596785) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596871) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2598041) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2596764) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2596912) 32-Bit Edition
Sentinel Protection Installer 7.4.0
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Skype Toolbars
Skype™ 5.3
Smart Diary Suite 4
Sony Ericsson PC Suite 6.009.00
Spotify
Steinberg Quadrafuzz v1.01
Studio365-Live
swMSM
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
System Requirements Lab
System Requirements Lab CYRI
TeamViewer 4
The Sims™ 2 Double Deluxe
Tunatic
Uninstall 1.0.0.1
Universal Extractor 1.6.1
Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217)
Update for Microsoft Office 2007 Help for Common Features (KB963673)
Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596651) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596789) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2596596) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Help (KB963678)
Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 Help (KB963670)
Update for Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007 Help (KB963669)
Update for Microsoft Office Script Editor Help (KB963671)
Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 Help (KB963665)
VC80CRTRedist - 8.0.50727.4053
Videora iPod touch Converter 5.03
ViewNX 2
Virtual CRASH 2.2
Virtual DJ - Atomix Productions
Visual C++ 8.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM
WiFi2HiFi
Windows Driver Package - Garmin (grmnusb) GARMIN Devices (06/03/2009 2.3.0.0)
Windows Live Call
Windows Live Communications Platform
Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
Windows Live Upload Tool
Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin
WinRAR archiver
WinSCP 4.3.7
Wondershare Streaming Audio Recorder(Build 1.0.9.2)
Xvid Video Codec

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would highly recommend to uninstall the following programs.

FrostWire 4.21.1
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
Norton Internet Security
Norton Security Scan
Uninstall 1.0.0.1

Since it still shows nortons installed you should download and run the norton removal tool.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Some of those screensaver programs you download causes more issues then anything. Also using Frostwire will most likely get infected. I would also recommend to get rid of those file converter programs, a lot of them are filled with malware.

After uninstalling these programs, please post a fresh hijackthis log.

adam3112

I would highly recommend to uninstall the following programs.

FrostWire 4.21.1
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
Norton Internet Security
Norton Security Scan
Uninstall 1.0.0.1

Since it still shows nortons installed you should download and run the norton removal tool.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Some of those screensaver programs you download causes more issues then anything. Also using Frostwire will most likely get infected. I would also recommend to get rid of those file converter programs, a lot of them are filled with malware.

After uninstalling these programs, please post a fresh hijackthis log.

Hi John,

I have removed the programs you suggested, also removed Norton and made a new log file with HijackThis.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 20:11:57, on 02/05/2012
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ubd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/?pc=OCDY
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_gb&c=91&bd=Presario&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {b80f591e-fe9a-46cf-a13e-180377240586} - (no file)
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\ProgramData\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\IE\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SMTTB2009 - {FCBCCB87-9224-4B8D-B117-F56D924BEB18} - C:\Program Files\HyperCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HyperCam Toolbar - {338B4DFE-2E2C-4338-9E41-E176D497299E} - C:\Program Files\HyperCam Toolbar\tbcore3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Updater] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe" -check_deprecation
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers\RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iCloudServices] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MobileDocuments] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ubd.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1ca2e4820680d93) (gupdate1ca2e4820680d93) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Update Service Daemon (nvUpdatusService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\daemonu.exe
O23 - Service: Sony Ericsson OMSI download service (OMSI download service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Suite\SupServ.exe
O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Keys Server (SentinelKeysServer) - SafeNet, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Keys Server\sntlkeyssrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Sentinel Protection Server (SentinelProtectionServer) - SafeNet, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Server\WinNT\spnsrvnt.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 4 (TeamViewer4) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version4\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: webcamXP Service (wxpSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\wLite\wService.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 10834 bytes

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't use it, I would uninstall the hypercam toolbar. Unnecessary toolbars cause issues.

Rerun hijackthis and place checks next to the following entries.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter" If you don't use this, allow hijackthis to remove from startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.ex e" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0" Same as last
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleU pdate.exe" /c

Then click on fix checked. You should be done.

How is the system running now?

adam3112

If you don't use it, I would uninstall the hypercam toolbar. Unnecessary toolbars cause issues.

Rerun hijackthis and place checks next to the following entries.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\DVD Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter" If you don't use this, allow hijackthis to remove from startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.ex e" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0" Same as last
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleU pdate.exe" /c

Then click on fix checked. You should be done.

How is the system running now?

Having done the above and everything else you have told me, my laptop definitely runs back to normal speed if not faster than ever before and there is no issue with it crashing and freezing now, I can honestly say you have solved the problems and prevented me from getting a new laptop when it wasn't necessary to begin with.

You sir are a Legend. Many thanks for helping me fix this. :good:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your welcome. Computer users without the proper knowledge of software and other things, don't know how easily it is to slow down a system by downloading anything and everything you see. Toolbars are probably the most common that slow it down besides being infected. The only toolbar I can actually recommend is the google toolbar. You can search from it and it has a good popup blocker.