Laptop Ethernet Help

SC_128mb

Ok, so I got an old IBM 1161 Laptop from my dad. It has 32 mb of ram and a 500 mhz celecron.

So I was checking it to see what it has and noticed there was no ethernet port. However, there was a modem. Beside the modem was a sespicious peice of rectangular plastic. It looked like it could come ff, so I tried with a screw driver. Whata you know! it came off reaveling an ethernet port!
I tried using it on my network and it didn't work. As it turns out, the computer already had drivers and a troubleshooter for the network card.
Troublesshooter said that the drivers worked but the network card didn't.
Maybe IBM disabled the ethernet instead of re-designing the entire mother board for this model, you know save 1$ a pc make an extra million $ in sales.
Anyway, can someone please help me get the thing working. BTW I don't really want to buy a USB ethernet adapter though and im willing to open the laptop up.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That's odd o_O I've seen dummies over holes(where they SHOULD be) but never an actual port. I suspect it's just the port and nothing else. Do you get any lights on your hub/switch/router when you hook it up?

And if all else fails you know you can get a PC-Card adaptor... They are rather cheap now too. I found some for like $15 at Office Max, and I bet you could find them for even less...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Yeah, if it was covered I bet it's just a dummy port. There's probably nothing more inside. I seriously doubt they've cover a working port up ;P