Laptop for the office.

j0hn00

ThinkPad R50e

I'm thinking about getting the above laptop for work. It's on sale for $599 with 512MB of free additional memory. It will only be used for Microsoft Office and internet browsing. I won't be using it unplugged for extended periods, plus the small HDD and CD-ROM will suffice. I just wanted some opinions and possible alternative suggestions.

alanuofm

VIP Member
j0hn00 said:
ThinkPad R50e

I'm thinking about getting the above laptop for work. It's on sale for $599 with 512MB of free additional memory. It will only be used for Microsoft Office and internet browsing. I won't be using it unplugged for extended periods, plus the small HDD and CD-ROM will suffice. I just wanted some opinions and possible alternative suggestions.

if that is all you are doing

inspiron 1200
Intel® Celeron® M Processor 350 (1.30 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
14 inch XGA LCD Panel
256MB Shared, 1 DIMM
30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
90 Days Ltd Warranty, 90 Days Mail-In Service, and 90 Days Technical Spt

total: $649.00
mail in rebate of 150$

total after rebate: $499

that would be sufficient for what you have described.

j0hn00

Thanks for the replies... but for an extra $100, not to mention not having to hassle with a mail in rebate, I could get a slightly faster processor and 3 times the memory. Am I wrong or is that not worth the price delta? Currently, I've got a ThinkPad T42 (1.6GHz Pentium M / 1GB) and am wondering just how much slower the ThinkPad R50e (1.4GHz Celeron M / 768MB) will be. By the way, I would like to keep the budget at around US$600, maybe US$700 tops.

alanuofm

VIP Member

alanuofm

VIP Member
inspiron 600m

Pentium® M Processor 725(1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/32MB Video
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
256MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm
40GB Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Free Dell Color Printer 720

Sub-total $681.85

will blow any of the ones you have away by a longshot.

Vampiric Rouge

Lets not forget he is TYPING things at the office....I feel that it would be a waist of money to get that stuff for what he is doing...

ckfordy

banned
Vampiric Rouge said:
Lets not forget he is TYPING things at the office....I feel that it would be a waist of money to get that stuff for what he is doing...

yes but the laptop alan suggested will work alot better than the celeron M and if he ever decides to do anything else he has more room to do it in

alanuofm

VIP Member
AMD64 said:
yes but the laptop alan suggested will work alot better than the celeron M and if he ever decides to do anything else he has more room to do it in

yeah exactly. he was already spending 600$ on celerons. why not spend a little more and get a pentium M with a dedicated video card. it was only 685$.

ckfordy

banned
alanuofm said:
yeah exactly. he was already spending 600$ on celerons. why not spend a little more and get a pentium M with a dedicated video card. it was only 685$.

we both think alike :p