Laptop GPU overclocking question

Ankur

I have a question on whether to push the laptop GPU to extreme levels is safe or not. I'm new to laptops. My specs are GT 540M GPU and i7 2630QM CPU. My main concern is that I have seen a post in Nvidia forum and saw that CPU temps shot up to 90-95 Celsius. What do you guys think whether it is safe or not to overclock GPU? :)

FuryRosewood

overclocking in a laptop to me is a bad idea, you wont see much of a improvement and your risking burning up the cpu, i wouldnt even think about it. cpus in desktops have far more beefy cooling systems, which is why your more likely to be able to clock there... as its been said time and time again, if its not broke DONT FIX IT

MrDeath

overclocking gpu

It is a really bad idea to over clock anything in a laptop. Mainly because it is a closed space that is more compact. So the temp will increase and probably slow your machine down dramatically if not mess it up. It is possible to do it, but you will need a cooling mat for the laptop. Still not a good idea.

Ankur

I agree on your replies, okay so I mildly overclocked the 540M, the temps did shoot to 80. I will make sure I don't overclock more, it will really burn my laptop and also at base frequency of CPU and GPU there is still a lot of heat generated. I realized I kept my phone at the heat exaust of laptop and it almost got burnt.