Laptop machine IDs, and how to switch them

TyJammer

Does anyone know where (in a new laptop with wireless networking) the machine ID is located? And also, how would you change it? Just get a different wireless card, or something else?

I'm a newbie so bear with me if it's very technical.

Thanks much,

Ty J

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You wont be able to change it directly (without buying a new one). For that you need a router :)

TyJammer

So if I were to loggin through different networks (care of the wireless aspect), and have a different IP address because of that, then the machine ID would be different too because I'll be logged in through a different router?

Currently at my house we have a couple PCs hooked up to the same router, but the machine IDs are different when I access a poker site in which it shows your IP and machine ID being recorded for security reasons (I'm just trying to get multiple bonuses here, not cheat other players).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So if I were to loggin through different networks (care of the wireless aspect), and have a different IP address because of that, then the machine ID would be different too because I'll be logged in through a different router?
No you would have to geta different "machine id" (i.e., MAC). Unless you have a router then you will need a new NIC to get a new MAC.

Currently at my house we have a couple PCs hooked up to the same router, but the machine IDs are different when I access a poker site in which it shows your IP and machine ID being recorded for security reasons
Interesting. Creepy. Websites arent supposed to read ur mac if you're behind a router