laptop makes

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody makes the "best" as that would be up to the buyer to decide. Of course in the scope of attempting to define the best you'd have to specify either or both (a) the intent and (b) the budget :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
eMachine laptops are more than affordable ... same goes for Alienware (you just cant get uber-ized edition... you can still get a 51m extreme for $2200USD) ... the eMachines kick in the 1500USD range :)

djjimmy2k2

i know you cant determine the 'best' make, thats why i asked for 'opinions, stats, anything', im looking to find out what everyone thinks, everyones opinions on the best manufacturers

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes i know heeehee .. note the second half of the response ... what do you want to use the laptop for and how much are you willing to spend? :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
From what you've said in the other thread as well this intention description, it doesnt seem like you'll need anything more than say 512MB system memory and a medium-scale video card. All the other components are probably flexible so realistically it probably wont matter too much. I like Acer books a lot (as well as eMachines) .. nice setups :)

djjimmy2k2

ive just revisited the site i was gonna get the laptop off and its sold out of the 2023WLMi model (the slightly higher specs for about £100 more) and since the ferrari is about £150 more than the 64Mb graphics card model (£100 more than my budget) now its just between the Aspire 2012WLMi and the TravelMate 4501WLMi. theyre both VERY similar in specs but i dunno which i should get, which do you think?

P.S. im not gonna get an emachines cos nowhere over here in UK actually sells em and ill need a laptop asap for uni. oh and another thing, after looking around the net the site ive linked to is the only one ive found that i can buy off cos ive got a very crap debit card and pretty much noone accepts it except that site.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Why you didnt say it was a 64MB 9700 .. i dunno. That changes tons. :)

2. Get the cheaper one because the dual burner on the more expensive one will most likly be a crappy one anyways (and dual layer media is expensive as hell)

3. Regardless of what you get, reformat the system and install the OS the way you want it, not the dumb OEM way D

djjimmy2k2

why does it being a 64Mb 9700 change tons?

and about the OS, it only comes with recovery discs, you cant fresh install the OS with that can you? or can you?

djjimmy2k2

well ive had a look at some toshibas and i think im still gonna go for an Acer, ive made my mind up about that much at least, now its just the model

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
why does it being a 64Mb 9700 change tons?
Becuase the 9700 isnt a piece of shit card they usually shove in there

and about the OS, it only comes with recovery discs, you cant fresh install the OS with that can you? or can you?
No you cant.

and some Toshiba Satellite Laptops are Overclockable
Which ones? :)

djjimmy2k2

so im guessin a 64Mb 9700 is kind of a decent card then.

and i didnt think you could reinstall from recovery discs, oh well. can you repartition the drive without fresh installing?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno... ive thrown out the only recovery discs ive ever had (to avoid accidentally using them)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They're useles (to me) because (a) i have ghost discs (b) ive got the OS discs (c) if say, i get really drunk/stupid and decide to use the restore discs then (i) restoring will really mess up my system because ive tinkered around with the windows resources (ii) if it restored correctly, id get some cute OS and (d) not just a cute OS but an OEM cute OS :)

I reformat once or twice a week from ... it would just be a hssle if i picked the wrong disc really :D