laptop modification for car...running slow..HELP!!

eleckid

I modified a toshiba 2545XCDT laptop to make a touchscreen computer/mp3player for my car. The computer had 64mb of ram. It runs kind of slow and the ram port in it is broken so I cant upgrade. I have XP installed on it and all I want the thing to do is boot up and run two programs...iTunes and the driver software for the touchscreen. My question is can I shut down any windows functions or processes or anything to increase speed while still being able to run iTunes and the driver software in order to increase performance? If not, is there anything else I can do?

holdenssx

Set your windows theme to classic that should help. If the RAM slot is broke how do you have 64mb in there?

Verve

maybe you could always boot into diagnostic mode, but that's a junky looking solution. Is there seriously no way to upgrade your RAM? 256MB is pretty much the minimum workable amount for XP.... it shouldn't cost much to upgrade to at least that.

Advitiya Saxena

if u just want an mp3 player out of it then u can shut off most of the windows services. u may want to visit black viper's site for that. u can also reduce the resolution of the monitor n colour depth to increase the speed. since 64 MB is really low for XP why dont u try for come low end verasion of linux. i m not sure but i belive linux hav something to offer.

Verve

yeah, Linux was going to be my suggestion, but he said that he wanted to use iTunes, so that keeps him with XP.

Geoff

VIP Member
Go to start > run > msconfig, and disable pretty much everything you dont need and that arent essential.

eleckid

the computer has 64mb built into it, the slot is empty....wow this web site is great I wasnt expecting such a quick reply....ill try some of the suggestions u guys made and let you know how it goes, although at the moment it is in about 20 pieces because im working on the screen...so it may be a week or so. thanks