Laptop not booting after clean

Crazies

I just cleaned a Inspiron 1545 laptop my sister has and the fan started and everything booted up normal but the screen. It boots up for about 10 seconds then shuts off. I have checked the ram and processor but nothing changed. I also checked all the connections but still nothing. While I cleaned it I tried to change the disk drive but I put the old one back in and the boot up still just had a black screen. I tried discharging the static 5 times and hooking it up to another screen but nothing. Could the screen have just died. According to my sister it's about 10 years old. Please help

_Pete_

Yes the screen could have died but it is very unusual for it to do what you say it is doing. A dead screen is a dead screen and doesn't show anything. You say you have checked the RAM, how? The only way in reality is to remove the RAM stick and re-seat it. Not easy on a laptop I know. The other thing to check is screen resolution. To do that you will have to start it up in safe mode. You haven't said what operating system you have installed so you will have to Google on how to do it for that machine with whatever operating system you have.

Crazies

Yes I reseated the ram stick. It was very easy because I didn't need to take off the whole back panel just a small peek panel with a few screws. I can't boot it in safe mode because the screen will not light up at all it is only black. It has windows 10 on it with a Intel pention and 4gbs of ram.when I mean everything will boot up normally I mean the fan and all the lights but that is it. The screen is black and unresponsive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be screen or failed onboard video. Also could be failed inverter. If you shine a light on the screen can you see anything? If the inverter has failed, you should be able to see using the flashlight. But being 10 years old, its time for a new one.

Darren

Staff member
Could be screen or failed onboard video. Also could be failed inverter. If you shine a light on the screen can you see anything? If the inverter has failed, you should be able to see using the flashlight. But being 10 years old, its time for a new one.
Yeah I'd suspect bad inverter, I saw a lot of those older Dell screens starting to fail. Inspiron 1545? Toss it and get a new machine, those were kinda junky even when they were new let alone 10 years later.

Darren

Staff member
I can't see anything when I boot it up with a flash light in the face
Junk it and replace it or take it to a shop (which is a waste of money IMO). Even if it is just the screen it'd take more to fix it than replace it with a faster used machine.