Laptop not booting

Dark master

A laptop from a friend of mine running windows XP isn't booting up anymore.

When it's started up, everything seems fine, but when the Windows XP logo comes up, it just hangs. The progress bar keeps going, but nothing happens.

When I boot up in safemode, it shows the files it's loading, but it stops at the file: ...\drivers\mup.sys

Any ideas?

knives143

dude try to give more info of the specification of the laptop and try to get answer with this questions to your friend so that we can diagnose and give solution to your issue...
1. have you installed hardware or software changes before the problem occur?
2. when was the lastime it was working correctly?
3. did you receive any error messages before the problem occurs?
4. did you make any setup changes in bios or in software applications on windows?
5. what was the last program you used when you got this problem?

xp comes with system restore if there is possibility to run on normal or safemode you can run system restore if your using HP laptops or Compaq presario there is a software embedded Recovery manager or PC recovery run it by pressing f11 on startup and run system recovery in advance options that should solve the issue however to get clear picture on this issue answer the questions above.........for better diagnosing.....

ancinter

A laptop from a friend of mine running windows XP isn't booting up anymore.

When it's started up, everything seems fine, but when the Windows XP logo comes up, it just hangs. The progress bar keeps going, but nothing happens.

When I boot up in safemode, it shows the files it's loading, but it stops at the file: ...\drivers\mup.sys

Any ideas?

First thought, shutdown the computer and remove all devices, leaving just the ram and the hdd, no cd/dvd/etc. No cards of any kind or connectors to front panel usbs and stuff.

See if you can boot then, if you can, shutdown and insert one device on the mb and boot up, and so on and so on until you find the culprit. Or, like in many cases that I have worked on, it boots up fine once again.

No logical explanation other than dumb luck in my case.

Good luck

dznutz

could be a ram issue. if there's 2 sticks try them out one at a time or use known working ram.

if that didn't work then try the recovery console.... using the xp disk or hidden partition (if you have one)