Laptop Not Charging?

anil099

hey folks I have a acer laptop....bought it a year ago....and the battery has basically just ran out...it used to hold for 5 hours not barely 40 minutes or so....so i was thinking of getting a new battery obviously...because it doesn't hold charge for long...but then i noticed something else...when i plug the charger in the back...it doesn't show up as chargine...you have to twist and turn the plug in the bag to make it charge sometimes...hold it in place....

so that got me worried...what if i spend $100 on a new battery and the plug is still messed up....

so is this because of the battery...which i was gonna replace anyways?

or the charging adapter?

or the port in the back of my laptop

and will getting a new battery fix it

thanks

jbrown456

try taking the battery out and seeing if the laptop runs if you move the cord around and hold it like you said you did

if it dosent turn off, then its probabally the battery..

my old acer did that too, but its just the battery gets old and wont hold a full charge.

anil099

hey i wasn't aware that you could use ur laptop without the battery with just plugged in...mine doesn't do that when i took the battery out it was on for 30 secs then turned off

PohTayToez

The power jack on your laptop is busted. It's either cracked or has come apart from the motherboard, which is why you have to wiggle it to get it to charge. This is a very very common issue with laptops as they take wear. It's not hard to find a replacement jack, they cost about $5-$15, the problem is that the actual replacement process is a pretty difficult repair. You basically have to disassemble the entire laptop, remove the old jack and solder the new jack it and put it back together. Unless you are very experienced with this sort of thing, I would not recommend trying the repair yourself.

However, the other obvious alternative is taking it in to get it fixed, and I can guarantee you that any store you bring it in to is going to want to charge and absolute minimum of $100, most likely $150-$300. I do this sort of repair for around $70, so if you're interested shoot me a PM, otherwise you're best bet would be to try and find some small time repair guy or an experienced friend to do it.

PohTayToez

Quite possibly. Does your laptop have an indicator that shows what percent of battery life is left? If you're charging to 100% and it's not lasting, then the battery is bad, but if it's just not charging at all it's the jack.

anil099

its charging..ill check if it goes to 100% but it dies in 40 mins or so rather than the 4 hours i thought maybe because it didn't charge it at all but it showed it was 100% or close

ill check again

i often throw my laptop in my bookbag with my books....is that what might have caused it

shud i invest in a case

PohTayToez

Damage usually occurs while the laptop is plugged in. Slight stress on the jack over time can add up and can cause it to break.

jbrown456

its charging..ill check if it goes to 100% but it dies in 40 mins or so rather than the 4 hours i thought maybe because it didn't charge it at all but it showed it was 100% or close

ill check again

i often throw my laptop in my bookbag with my books....is that what might have caused it

shud i invest in a case

Yes, invest in a case.

meanman

try taking the battery out and holding down the on button for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and see what happens.

meanman

i had trouble with my laptop battery not charging and i rang the tech guys and that is what they told me to do and it worked.

tstevic

The power jack on your laptop is busted. It's either cracked or has come apart from the motherboard, which is why you have to wiggle it to get it to charge. This is a very very common issue with laptops as they take wear. It's not hard to find a replacement jack, they cost about $5-$15, the problem is that the actual replacement process is a pretty difficult repair. You basically have to disassemble the entire laptop, remove the old jack and solder the new jack it and put it back together. Unless you are very experienced with this sort of thing, I would not recommend trying the repair yourself.

However, the other obvious alternative is taking it in to get it fixed, and I can guarantee you that any store you bring it in to is going to want to charge and absolute minimum of $100, most likely $150-$300. I do this sort of repair for around $70, so if you're interested shoot me a PM, otherwise you're best bet would be to try and find some small time repair guy or an experienced friend to do it.
I don't know how long you can live without your laptop, but if you can send it off, try http://www.support365.biz/laptop-repair.php for the repair option. You will likely need a new battery also. My thinkpad holds a charge for about 5 minutes now. I understand that litihum batterys have a sort of 'memory' and the first charge-discharge cycle is very important. Full charge-full discharge is reccomended.

Last edited:

anil099

this site has a special they're doing it for $95

is it legit

http://www.800tech.com/

yeah i have a desktop so i dont need my laptop i can send it off

and also...how would i ship it...like ups? how much padding and what? ive only shipped books in my lifetime

jgrav451

Have you ruled out the possibility that your AC adaptor has died. This seems like the logical place to start. I recently had to replace mine because it died. You can go just about anywhere like Best Buy and they'll put a voltmeter on it and see if it's got juice. Bad news, new adaptors can run up to 100 bucks.

anil099

no i haven't ruled that out

maybe that is the case

there's a bestbuy near here i don't mind spending $100 if it will fix my laptop

but i dont know where to start?

before my battery started to not last as long as it used to then i wud have to twist my ac adapter in the back to make it charge

so i donno wwhat to do first? buy a battery? fix my power jack?

buy an ac adapter?

jbrown456

no i haven't ruled that out

maybe that is the case

there's a bestbuy near here i don't mind spending $100 if it will fix my laptop

but i dont know where to start?

before my battery started to not last as long as it used to then i wud have to twist my ac adapter in the back to make it charge

so i donno wwhat to do first? buy a battery? fix my power jack?

buy an ac adapter?

do you have a voltmeter?