Laptop on Standby question

Mikeohioukus

Hi guys, i got something thats confusing me, Last night i pushed the power button to place my laptop on standby ( usually do this every night ) and then during the day i was out, so i haven't been on it for quite a few hours, However this evening when i turned it on, usually i lift the lid and it powers back up from standby, this time it didn't and i had to push the power button to turn it on, I thought the battery was dead but after turning it on the batter was at 80%. Any idea why this may of happened? Are there limits to how long a laptop can stay on standby?

FrillyBits

Hibernate?

It sounds like it just automatically went into Hibernate after a certain time period. On my Netbook that would require pushing the Power button to bring it out of Hibernate.
After pushing the Power button, did you see the Windows loading screen etc (this is a cold boot) or did the desktop just appear after a while (this is coming out of Hibernate)

When you look at the attached image you will see that my Acer Netbook will automatically go into Hibernate after 3 hours of no use when plugged into power or after 2 hours when running on batteries.
Being in Standby mode does not change or cancel these settings, it will still go into Hibernate.

Attachments

• Power Options.jpg
    Power Options.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 32

Mikeohioukus

I have a compaq CQ61, Windows 7.

When i lifted the lid, i had to push the power button to turn it on ( as if it was shut down ) and then it loaded up also as if i shut it down, But the night before i had only pushed the power button which puts it on standby.

FrillyBits

I don't know Compaq but there should be Power Options somewhere (see image above), check to see if it has changed to Power button shuts down the computer (under Advanced tab on my Netbook) I think this is usually the default setting so some PC hiccup may have set it back to default.

Other than that, if you pressed and held the Power button this would force a shutdown of the computer. This is by is design for emergency situations when it won't shutdown normally.
Could it be that you held down the Power button for longer than normal?

Last edited: