Laptop Power Problem

enothor

Ok, here's the deal...I have an HP Pavilion g71 and I can't get it to power on. Here's exactly what it does: When the battery is in the comp, I get no light when I plug in the AC (which I imagine I should since it would indicate I have AC power), but when I remove the battery I get the light by the jack to come on, but either way no spin up. Nothing. I have purchased a new battery and verified the AC adapter was working correctly...

Any ideas on what steps to take next?

Troncoso

VIP Member
So literally nothing happens when you press the power switch? Maybe there is a short in the jack itself, that isn't that uncommon of an issue, our possibly you bent a pin.

enothor

Nothing at all happens, no. I have it apart and there doesn't appear to be any bent pins or a short in the jack. I forgot to mention that with the battery out, when the light comes on, it only stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes out. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Troncoso

VIP Member
So with no battery in, it will come on for a few seconds? Okay, that definitely does sound like a short top me. I could say where, but depending on how old the thing is, it may not be worth repairing.

enothor

Do you think it could be the power button board? Is there a way to jump start the laptop by shorting pins like you can with a desktop?

Dngrsone

VIP Member
You say you verified the brick works. How did you accomplish that?

Chances are the AC adapter is bad. It's the first place I would look, now that you have replaced the battery. Keep in mind that either cord on the adapter can be bad.

I suppose you could try bypassing the power switch, If I recall correctly (and assuming a G71 is very similar to a G72, which is what I own), the power switch is just the switch and an LED. Though you would need a fine wire and maybe a magnifier to see what you are doing...

enothor

I tested the AC adpater with a multimeter and got the appropriate readings, so I assume it is good. Is that a proper assumption in this case?

I will plug it up and try to short it to start and see if that works. Thanks.